Farmstead Arts Center is pleased to announce Joan Foley as the People’s Choice Award Winner of the 2020 Farmstead Arts Annual Members’Art Exhibit, ROAD TRIP. Jody Tomaro Jacobus and Kathy Jost-Keating tied for 2nd place.
Farmstead Art’s annual Members show, held virtually this year due to COVID-19, is drawing to a close on October 30. The ROAD TRIP theme – which takes us on a virtual journey to places real or imagined as we continue to socially distance - provided member artists an opportunity to exhibit recent works.
Visitors to the Farmstead’s online gallery were invited to cast a vote for their favorite image. Voters were also encouraged to add a comment about why they voted for the image they did. Voting closed on October 25 and 123 total votes were cast. Almost all of the 17 artists received votes.
To learn more about the artists and to view the ROAD TRIP exhibit, visit www.farmsteadartscenter.org.
People’s Choice Winner, Joan Foley’s watercolor artwork, titled “Dingy, Cape Cod Bay” received 17% of the votes cast. Comments from voters included:
- It's so peaceful looking, I can see myself hanging out in that little boat for hours at a time.
- I love her choice of subject. The boat is a simple pleasure to explore the lake or sea. The scene is simple, timeless. I like Joan’s style, the colors chosen and the shading
- I'm a water person and this is very relaxing. Lovely. This is a lovely idea as well.
- It just made me want to jump in and start rowing!
Two artists tied for 2nd place.
Jody Tomaro Jacobus’ watercolor artwork, titled “New Paths” received 11% of the votes cast. Comments from voters included:
- Use of color, composition, and draftsmanship.
- I just love the raised boardwalk through a lush green space. The tiny masked fairy is sweet.
- In this terrible year, it offers a beautiful, restful scene, a bit of whimsy, and provides an example of proper Covidian behavior.
- I love the story behind it--finding creativity curing COVID.
- It’s so serene. Makes me think of a beautiful spring day after a long winter.
Kathy Jost-Keating’s oil on canvas artwork titled “Pemaquid Point Light House” also received 11% of the votes cast. Comments included:
- I love the colours. A beautiful painting. It makes me want to see the lighthouse in person.
- Rustic and great use of color. So realistic
- The attention to detail
- I love lighthouses and this makes me feel calm and serene.
- Because the artist has a great eye for capturing the essence of lighthouses
Farmstead Arts Center is a center for fine, performing and practical arts located in Basking Ridge, NJ on the historic grounds of the Kennedy Martin Stelle Farmstead. Farmstead Arts offers art classes, workshops, art exhibits, theater, concerts, dance, children’s activities, and lectures in history and the arts.
Funds for this event have been made possible in part by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a partner agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, through the State/County Partnership Local Arts Program Grant administered by The Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission.