You can make these adorable cardboard tube animals with items most people already have around the house. While this tutorial provides instructions for making an owl, a cat and a dog, the possibilities are endless!
Click here for video instructions.
- Paper tubes (toilet paper tubes are the perfect size)
- Yarn or shoelaces in assorted colors
- Paper scraps
- Googly eyes
- Glue dots
- If you are using a larger tube, cut it down to the size of a toilet paper tube. Push down the top edge. Add a glue dot to the edge before folding down and securing the other top edge. This will make your animal’s ears.
- Secure the end of a piece of yarn or a shoelace to the bottom edge of the tube with a glue dot. Then, wrap the tube about three-quarters of the way up the tube, leaving enough room to make a face. Secure the other end of the yarn or shoelace with a glue dot.
- Cut out pieces of scrap paper to make additional animal parts.
- To make an owl, cut out two wings, a beak and two colorful circles where the googly eyes will go;
- To make a cat or a dog, cut out four paws, a nose and a tail.
- Glue the paper pieces and googly eyes onto your creation. Then, use the marker to draw any finishing touches, like whiskers or smiles.
Goddard School of Long Hill provides programs rooted in discovery learning for children age 6 weeks to 6 years old.
Through their F.L.EX. learning program (Fun Learning Experience), children have access to play-based curriculum in areas including chess, music, yoga, drama and foreign language. In fact, results of a third party review found that, on average, Goddard students score 45% higher on literacy and mathematics!