BERNARDSVILE, NJ -- Leaf collection will begin in the borough on Monday, Oct. 28.
To assist the Borough Road Department in efficiently performing leaf collection services, the borough is requesting that residents comply with the following procedures for the placement of leaves:
1. Leaf collection will be provided at least twice on each roadway during the pickup periods. Note that pickup will not be made in the 3, 5, or 10 acre zones nor will pickup be made on commercial properties.
2. Leaves will be picked up in two pickup periods and at least one pickup will be made on each roadway during each period. Residents may place their leaves along the edge of the roadway, but not on the paved portion of the roadway beginning on October 27 for the first pickup and by December 1 for the second pickup period. Leaf crews will continue making pickups throughout the first pickup period so please continue to get your leaves out. Note that the leaf crews will not return once they have provided one pickup on your roadway during the second pickup period which begins the Monday after Thanksgiving. After this time residents must bring their leaves to the compost facility as noted below.
3. Leaves should be placed in piles no more than five feet wide. Bagged leaves will not be accepted.
4. Leaves should not be placed where they may cause a hazard such as on the paved portion of the roadway, on sidewalks, in drainage ditches, on catch basins or in front of fire hydrants or mailboxes.
5. In areas with sidewalks, leaves should be placed as close to the curb as possible.
6. There should be no foreign matter such as rocks, wood chips, sticks, branches, logs, cans, etc. mixed in with the leaves. Piles with foreign matter in them will be left at the roadside by leaf collection crews. Note that leaf collection crews will not pick up brush left at roadside. Residents leaving brush piles in the roadway will be subject to penalty.
7. Leaves should not be placed under bushes, hedges, fences or low trees or in any location that would obstruct the leaf machine from picking up leaves, including along steep embankments, in raised flower beds, etc.
8. In accordance with new NJDEP Stormwater regulations, leaves should not be placed within 10 feet of any storm sewer catch basin.
Residents may bring leaves to the compost facility at the Bernardsville Landfill on Pill Hill Road on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. both during and after the leaf collection season.