SOMERVILLE, NJ - Parents and students are being kept up-to-date with the latest developments affecting them on the Somerville Board of Education website.
The most recent letter was posted March 18th, and covers the new Flexible Learning off-site program, as well as availability of school meals and other food resources available to those in need:
We hope everyone has been taking care of themselves and their loved ones. Since this was our first day of launching into this unfamiliar Flexible Learning, we are hopeful everyone has been able to connect online, pick up their packets for the younger grades, and begin the learning experience.
If you have not picked up your packets for Preschool to 2nd grade, the packets are still available in the blue bins by the VDV front doors. Additionally, we know people have identified some areas where they felt improvements could be made, so we have made every effort to address each encountered issue in a timely manner. We will continue to meet any unexpected issues with a timely response.
Thank you to all students who were able to connect and participate in today’s learning. Please remember to visit our Flexible Learning Plan Website daily for learning resources for families and students. If you are experiencing any difficulties connecting virtually, please contact the Somerville Public Schools hotline at (908) 864-7789.
Today, we launched the meals program for students who receive free and reduced meals. For those that were not aware, these meals can be picked up at Somerville Middle School from noon-2 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, the students from Van Derveer Elementary School who participate in the Friday Backpack Food Bag, they or a member of their family can come to the Middle School cafeteria from noon-2 p.m. on each Friday to pick up their bag. We are continuing the program as scheduled. The bags will have your name on them, so just come by and pick up your bag.
In an effort to provide useful information to our families that are in need of food and drink, we have included the following free nutrition resources below:
● SHIP is a nonprofit organization that feeds anyone who is hungry free of charge.
○ Soup Kitchen: Saint John's Episcopal Church in the Church Hall at the rear of the building, 158 West High St. Somerville, NJ 08876 Meals Served Between 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
○ Food Pantry: 87 East High St. Somerville, New Jersey 08876, Hours: 10 a.m.-noon
● Feeding Hands - Bagged food items for Drive-thru pick up ONLY every Tuesday 1-3 p.m. 7-8:30 p.m.
○ For information on how to sign up, please call them at (908)-722-4400
○ Location: 1 Emmanuel Church, 100 Grant Ave. Somerville, NJ 08876
● The Food Bank Network of Somerset County - pre-bagged food items for pick-up
○ Location: 9 Easy St. Bound Brook, NJ
○ Hours: 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
● Prima Pizza Kitchen at 131 North Gaston Ave. Somerville has offered help to families in need. Reach out to Prima (908) 203-1800 and they will provide meals to anyone in need of assistance.
Wifi Access For those who are still experiencing difficulty finding Wifi access, we want to remind you that our district Wifi is open. If you are near one of our school buildings, please select the “SBOE GUEST” Wifi (no password needed). Additionally, we wanted to provide you once again the information so you can access the free Xfinity hotspots. Useful information is below.
Xfinity Wifi Information
● Go to http://www.xfinity.com/wifi
● Enter “Somerville, NJ” instead of the zip code to search for free Wifi hotspots in Somerville. If you enter only 08876, the number and location of available Wifi spots in Somerville will not appear correctly. If you are in Branchburg, you can enter 08876 to search for free Wifi hotposts in Branchburg.
SHS & SMS Report Cards As you may know, the 3rd marking period is scheduled to close on March 27th. The district is continuing to evaluate how grades will be reported for marking periods 3 and 4 as a result of the Flexible Learning Days. We will provide clarity on this matter to all teachers, students, and parents as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience at this time.