SOMERVILLE, NJ - St. John's Episcopal Church will honor eight Somerset County citizens and community organizations for their tireless efforts and contributions to the community on Oct. 17th..
“The Spirit of St. John’s event will honor valued internal and external partners who have helped support the mission work of our beloved parish,” noted the Rev. Canon Ronald Pollock, rector of St. John’s. “It will be awarded to those who have participated with St. John’s to improve the lives of people who live locally and globally in a myriad of ways. In this parish, relationships are paramount, especially when we consider our baptismal vows, ‘to seek and serve Christ in all persons loving our neighbor a ourselves.’”
- Rich Aquitato, owner, Wayne’s Wash World II, the host of St. John’s Laundry Love;
- Brian Gallagher, Somerset County Freeholder;
- Paul Grzella, interim director of the Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board, and a coordinator of St. John’s Laundry Love ministry;
- Interfaith Community Action Network: Dr. Ali Chaudry, Islamic Society of Basking Ridge, Basking Ridge; Rabbi Arnold Gluck, Temple Beth El, Hillsborough; and the Rev. Todd Buurstra, North Branch Reformed Church, Bridgewater.
- Samaritan Homeless Interim Program (SHIP), Tom O’Leary, executive director, and Michael Brown, Soup Kitchen director;
Somerville Women’s Civic League, Leigh McLachlan, president;
The Rt. Rev William H. Stokes, Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey;
Kathleen C. Toomey, MD, Regional Cancer Care Associates, The Steeplechase Cancer Center, Robert Wood Johnson Hospital.
The Spirit of St. John’s will be held in the handicapped-accessible parish hall, 158 W. High St., Somerville, from 5-8 p.m..
The event will feature food donated by more than a dozen area restaurants. Another highlight of the evening will be a silent auction featuring a wide array of items and services.
Tickets are limited and are $50 per person. For tickets and booklet advertising opportunities, call 908-722-1250 or go online to: http://www.stjohnsomerville.org/
St. John’s Episcopal Church is located at 158 West High St. in Somerville. St. John’s church and parish hall are handicapped accessible. Ample free parking is available in the church lot behind the church or on the streets. At St. John’s, weekly Sunday services are conducted at 8 a.m., and at 10:15 a.m. with music.
St. John’s offers Sunday School every Sunday at 10:15 a.m. preceded by “Children’s Chapel” at 10 a.m. which features the rector offering a brief children’s message. Among its many programs, St. John’s hosts the SHIP's Galley Soup Kitchen three days a week; a monthly Laundry Love, assisting those who are unable or cannot afford to clean their laundry; and the monthly Clothes Closet..