HILLSBOROUGH, NJ  - A fire in the basement laundry area of an apartment building in Kimberwyck Village Tuesday, Jan. 2 damaged several apartments and forced the evacuation of the 10-unit building at 9 Bloomingdale Ave.

The fire was first reported at 8:47 p.m.

Smoke was coming out of the basement and the windows of several apartments when firefighters arrived, according to police.

Sign Up for E-News

Police and firefighters evacuated the occupants of the building.

There were no reported injuries as a result of the fire. 

Due to possible electrical damage to multiple units the building was determined to be uninhabitable.

Although the fire does not appear to be suspicious at this time, it is under investigation by township police and the township Fire Safety Bureau.

Responding units included township police, Hillsborough Fire Co. units #36, 37 and 38, Neshanic Fire Co #48, Hillsborough Rescue Squad, Somerville Rescue Squad, Elizabeth Avenue Fire Dept., Millstone Boro Fire Dept. #42, Manville Rescue Squad, Raritan Boro Station #52, Montgomery Fire #45, Hillsborough Office of Emergency Management, Somerset County Office Of Emergency Management, and the Hillsborough Building Department.