Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) forestry contractors are scheduled to trim trees in more than 60 municipalities over the next two months as part of the company’s ongoing efforts to maintain proper clearances around electrical equipment to help protect against tree-related outages.
Since the beginning of the year, work has been completed on more than 2,000 circuit miles as part of JCP&L’s approximately $28 million tree trimming program for 2016. An additional 1,400 miles are expected to be completed by year-end.
JCP&L’s tree trimming program is conducted by certified forestry experts under the company’s direction. The work will take place in the following counties and municipalities:
- Burlington County – Pemberton Township and Southampton Township
- Hunterdon County – Alexandria Township, Bethlehem Township, Flemington Borough, Borough of Frenchtown, Glen Gardner Borough, Hampton Borough, Lebanon Township, Milford Borough and Raritan Township
- Mercer County – East Windsor Township, Robbinsville Township and West Windsor Township
- Middlesex County – Cranbury Township and Old Bridge Township
- Monmouth County – Aberdeen Township, Allenhurst Borough, Asbury Park, Englishtown, Freehold, Freehold Township, Hazlet Township, Holmdel Township, Howell Township, Interlaken Borough, Keansburg Borough, Keyport Borough, Manalapan Township, Matawan Borough, Middletown Township, Neptune City, Neptune Township, Ocean Township, Tinton Falls Borough, Union Beach Borough and Wall Township
- Morris County – Boonton Township, Chester Borough, Chester Township, Chatham Borough, Chatham Township, Jefferson Township, Mendham Township, Mount Arlington Borough, Mountain Lakes Borough, Parsippany-Troy Hills Township, Roxbury Township and Washington Township
- Ocean County – Brick Township, Jackson Township, Lakehurst Borough, Lakewood Township, Manchester Township and Toms River Township
- Passaic County – Ringwood Borough and Wanaque Borough
- Somerset County – Bedminster Township, Bernards Township and Far Hills Borough
- Sussex County – Andover Borough, Andover Township, Byram Township, Lafayette Township, Hampton Township, Newton Township, Green Township, Sparta Township and Stillwater Township
- Union County –New Providence Borough
- Warren County – Township of Blairstown, Lopatcong Township Mansfield Township, Phillipsburg Borough and Washington Township
JCP&L regularly trims or removes trees and conducts other vegetation management work along its electric distribution lines on a four-year cycle to help reduce tree-related outages. The company’s certified forestry experts inspect vegetation near the lines to ensure trees are pruned in a manner that helps preserve the health of the tree, while also maintaining safety near electric facilities. Trees that present a danger or are diseased may also be removed.
As part of the process, JCP&L works with municipalities to inform them of tree trimming schedules. In addition, customers living in areas along company rights-of-way also are notified before work begins.