SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ – Officials say that a “faulty chimney” was the likely cause for a fire that heavily damaged a two-story office building and garage on Avenue F Sunday night.

Tuesday morning the South Brunswick Fire Safety Bureau ruled the cause of the Sunday night blaze on Avenue F as accidental, police said in a press release.

The Sunday night fire heavily damaged a two story office and garage.

Sign Up for E-News

According to police, fire investigators believe the blaze was connected to a faulty chimney.

South Brunswick police said they received a 911 call at 9:15 p.m. Sunday night reporting the fire on Avenue F off Finnegans Lane.

“On arrival we had heavy fire throughout the structure,” Kendall Park Fire Chief Rob Cioffi said. “We were able to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes. The structure is still standing but suffered heavy damage.”

The fire required six fire companies and 70 firefighters to battle the blazed, police said.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in 20 minutes, but remained on scene till 3 a.m. Monday morning, police said.

In addition to the Kendall Park Fire Department, the Monmouth Junction, Kingston, Franklin Park, North Brunswick, Rocky Hill and Plainsboro fire departments responded to the scene along with the Kendall Park First Aid Squad.

There were no injuries, police said.

Did you like this story?

Give us your feedback at ckim@tapinto.net or nwells@tapinto.net.

If you did like it, please share with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter, and don't forget to "Like" our Facebook Page!