SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ – Six people, including two former candidates and a former member, applied to fill the vacant Board of Education seat as of Friday’s noon deadline, officials said.
According to the district, BOE candidates from November, Anil Patel and Laszlo Nyitrai submitted applications along with former board member Martin Abschutz, Joyce Mehta, Prashant Joshi and Sabuha Qureshi-Din.
The seat will become vacant in January because candidate Lisa Rodgers withdrew from the race, but did not have time to be removed from the ballot.
Despite her withdrawal, she came in second on election day and technically won the seat.
Superintendent Dr. Gary McCartney said that she sent the district a formal letter refusing the seat, creating the vacancy when election winners Harry Delgado and Azra Baig are sworn in for their three-year terms in January.
As per the board’s policy, applications from the public to fill the seat were sought and the panel will interview the candidates and, eventually, vote for someone to fill Rodgers seat, Board President Dr. Steven Parker said at the last board meeting.
Interviews are currently scheduled for public meetings on Dec. 15 and prior to the previously scheduled Dec. 19 meetings.
Once the interviews take place, the board will discuss them in closed session and then decide on a replacement for Rodgers, hopefully before the meeting in January where the others take their seats, Dr. Parker said.
Patel and Nyitrai finished fourth and fifth during the November balloting for the three seats.
Incumbents Delgado and Baig came in first and third respectively.
Abschutz previously served on the board for a number of years, including terms as president. He also returned to the board to briefly fill the seat of a board member that resigned.
Did you like this story?
If you did like it, please share with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter, and don't forget to "Like" our Facebook Page!