CRANBURY, NJ – The Cranbury Volunteer Fire Company really felt the heat in July with a particularly busy period from July 20-28, including a major warehouse fire in North Brunswick and a two-alarm blaze that destroyed two apartments in Plainsboro, Chief Michael Kervan said.

According to Kervan, the week began on Monday, July 20, with a smoke condition call at a South Brunswick warehouse.

Cranbury’s Tower truck unit went to the roof and investigated a faulty air handling unit.

Sign Up for E-News

While that was a minor call, two days later, a major warehouse fire broke out on Livingston Avenue in North Brunswick.

That fire call came at around 3:15 a.m. on July 22 with the members dispatched to an activated alarm in a 350,000 square-foot warehouse.

As crews were responding with the mutual aid call, the dispatcher advised Cranbury that its Tanker truck was requested to go into North Brunswick to supplement the water supply at the 10-plus alarm fire, Kervan said.

The tanker and crews operated for more than 27 hours, delivering over 160,000 gallons of water (final totals are still pending), Kervan said.

See this video taken by a Plainsboro firefighter on July 26 that takes you inside that apartment fire.

While crews were still operating at the North Brunswick fire during the day, members were alerted to respond into East Windsor for the reported gas leak.

Kervan said that not long after returning from that call, Rescue 48 responded to the NJ Turnpike for a reported vehicle fire with the Hightstown Fire Co.

Crews made quick work of the fire and returned, Kervan said.

On July 24, the company was again dispatched in the afternoon to a residence on Cranbury Neck Road for an activated alarm.

Upon investigation, fire crews discovered a natural gas leak, Kervan said.

The gas was shut down and crews remained on scene until the gas had safely vented.

As the report from that call was being filled out, Kervan and Tower 48 were requested to respond into Hightstown for a reported structure fire.

Upon arrival, Kervan said, there was fire in an outside wall near the attic of the building.

Hightstown firefighters went in service with a line as Tower 48 went in service to the roof and ensured the fire was completely extinguished, Kervan said.

Then, on Sunday afternoon, July 26, firefighters were alerted to respond into Plainsboro for a reported apartment fire.

Upon arrival there was heavy fire showing from one of the apartments, Kervan said.

Cranbury’s Engine 48 supplied water to Applegarth’s Tower 57 as crews went inside to fight the fire with Plainsboro and surrounding mutual aid companies.

The fire was extinguished quickly and held the damage to the original fire building, Kervan said.