WEST WINDSOR, NJ – Three people are in custody after allegedly trying to rob the AT&T store on Route 1 Tuesday night, police said.

Police charged Gregory T. Smith, 53, and Benjamin Green, 47, both of Philadelphia with robbery, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a weapon and kidnapping, after they allegedly tried to rob the store, located in the Penn’s Neck circle of Route 1 and Washington Avenue around 8 p.m. Tuesday night.

Police also charged Orange resident Tyreane D. Tucker-Brown, 44, with robbery, kidnapping and eluding police in the case.

Sign Up for E-News

According to police, officers were dispatched to the store for an armed robbery in progress at 7:58 p.m. Tuesday.

As officers arrived on the scene, they saw a black Chevrolet Equinox withy an obscured Pennsylvania plate leaving the parking lot.

Patrolman J. Collins followed the vehicle northbound on Route 1 in a marked police car and attempted to stop the Equinox, police said.

The Equinox, operated by Tucker-Brown, attempted to get away by exiting Route 1 at Scudders Mill Road in Plainsboro and doubled back on the overpass to Route 1 south, heading back into West Windsor, police said.

According to police, Tucker-Brown drove “in an aggressive manner,” weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed to lose Patrolman Collins.

Patrolman K. Brown and Patrolman A. Pollini joined the pursuit with Collins southbound on Route 1, police said.

The Equinox then made an abrupt turn onto Carnegie Center Boulevard westbound past Canal Pointe Boulevard and continued onto Heritage Boulevard, where it finally stopped at Federal Court, police said.

Patrolman D. Latham, who was working an extra duty traffic assignment on Canal Boulevard arrested Tucker-Brown without incident, police said.

Due to the chase, the Equinox caught fire and Patrolman K. Brown and Collins battled the fire until West Windsor Emergency Services arrived on the scene and put out the blaze, police said.

While the pursuit took place, Sgt. A. Magistracy, Detective W. Jones, patrolmen E. McQuade and F. Zicha were at the store and discovered that Smith and Green had taken two store employees into the rear storage room at gunpoint when the store was closing and tied them up with zip ties, police said.

Smith and Green left the storage room where they had been with the employees and were taken into custody without further incident, police said.

Police recovered two loaded handguns, one of which had hollow point bullets, the proceeds of the robbery as well as other items used in the crime, police said.

All three suspects were taken to the Mercer County Jail pending bail hearings in Mercer County Superior Court, police said.

In addition to the robbery charges, Tucker-Brown was also issued “a litany” of motor vehicle violation summonses, police said.

Did you like this story?

Give us your feedback at ckim@tapinto.net or nwells@tapinto.net and click here today to keep local news in your community. We need your support now!

If you did like it, please share with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter, and don't forget to "Like" our Facebook Page!

Download the TAPinto App!   Click here for Android - Click here for iOS .