SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ - A temeratures in the Garden State continue to soar with humidity to go along with it, the township is offering residents in need of a break from the heat several cooling center options. The following cooling centers are available:
- South Brunswick Public Library will be open during regular business hours which are Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday from noon to 6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- South Brunswick Senior Citizens Center is open on Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The senior center is closed on Saturday.
- The lobby of the South Brunswick Police Department will be available all day and night from now through the weekend.
Excessive heat tends to impact young children and the elderly more quickly. Some additional heat-beating tips are to:
- Stay indoors during the hottest times of the day, which is typically between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest times of the day; exercising in the early morning and evening is best.
- Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Eat lighter meals like salads.
- Do not leave babies, children or pets inside of parked cars.
- Provide water for pets.
- Avoid using the stove and oven especially if you don't have air conditioning. Their use will heat up the house more quickly.
- If you do have to work outside, take frequent breaks in the shade if possible and drink plenty of water.