SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ - A South Brunswick Police officer was injured yesterday when he fell through the second floor of an unoccupied building in the township yesterday.  He was involved in the search for a few teenagers who had allegedly entered the property illegally.  Officer Kent English fell ten feet and incurred injuries to his abdomen.

South Brunswick Police Chief Raymond Hayducka was furious with four teens whose violation of the Governor’s orders resulted in an officer's being injured. “These are challenging times and every call presents a heightened danger for officers. Most people are following the rules, but these four seem willing to do whatever they wanted and it resulted in an officer being injured. I will not have my officers’ safety put at risk by people who recklessly decided to break the Governor’s order and commit crimes," he said in a report issued yesterday.

 At 3:30 am, police were called by a resident who said they saw suspects enter a home by going through a first-floor window. Officers arrived at 14 Point of Woods Drive and observed the suspects running inside the home. (This location in Monmouth Junction is currently labeled a "vacant land home" by Zillow.) Officers began to search the home and took three suspects into custody quickly. Officer Kent English was searching the second-floor interior when he fell through floor and landed ten feet below on the first floor.

Sign Up for South Brunswick Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Officer English suffered injuries to his abdomen and was transported by Kendall Park First Aid Squad to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick. He was released from the hospital and is recovering at home. A fourth suspect was later located.

All the suspects are being charged with burglary and violating the executive order. One suspect is an adult – Firaz Osman age 18 of Kendall Park; the other three are juveniles – two 17-year-olds, one 16-year-old.

“I want to make this clear, do not violate the Governor’s Executive Order, we will have zero-tolerance. None of what happened this morning needed to take place if people were responsible. We are working too hard to stop this virus to have people recklessly create more problems,” said Chief Hayducka.