Looks like we’re past the halfway point on summer, and the end of vacation season is on the way. But let’s put aside that depressing thought, and look at the latest news from South Plainfield Library:
First, be aware that the Notary is away on vacation and will be back on Monday, Aug. 14th. We figure he should be done with the demolition derby, the tractor pull and the harness racing by then.
First, here’s something for the whole family. We’re participating in the “Kindness Rocks” project, where you can decorate rocks with inspirational sayings, which will then be left all over town for others to find. You can come in and create a few of these messages of good will at the Library on Monday morning at 10:30. No pre-registration is needed.
Turning to the children’s programming, we’re maintaining our very busy summer schedule (with a couple of adjustments):
- On this Friday morning and next Friday morning, Aug. 11th, we’ve got our two “Babytime” programs. “Babytime Numero Uno”, for children age 2 & under who can’t walk on their own, will start at 10:15. It’ll be followed by “Babytime Numero Dos”, for children 2 & under who can walk on their own, at 11:15.
- Later this Friday afternoon at 1:00, we’ll have a “Special Needs Sensory Storytime” for individuals from pre-K to young adult who might be uncomfortable with the usual Storytime.
- On Monday afternoon, the “Summer Science League” will be meeting at 3:00, as they continue to work on their projects.
- On Monday evening at 6:30, the “Kid’s Book Club”, for children age 8-10, will meet and continue discussing the “Land of Stories” series by Christ Colfer.
- Our “Storytime” programs, for children age 3 & over, will be held on Tuesday morning at 10:30, and on Thursday afternoon at 1:15.
- Immediately following the Tuesday morning “Storytime”, we’ll hold the “Puzzle & Game Playtime” at 11:30, again for children age 3 & over.
- The Chess Club, for kids age 6 & up, from beginners to advanced, will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 12:30. You can bring your own chess set, or use one of ours. Our budget doesn’t currently allow for kids to play against advanced A.I. systems.
- We’ll be hosting another Chinese language “Storytime” on Tuesday afternoon at 4:30. It’s for children age 2-6, it’ll be led by Ms. Kitty & Ms. Suzy, and it’ll be presented primarily in Mandarin. English translations will be available.
- On Wednesday evening at 6:30, we’ll be presenting a kids sing-along program featuring Presley & Melody. We’ll be holding it at the Senior Center, located at 90 Maple Ave. It’s for all ages and you don’t need to pre-register. In lieu of an admission fee, please bring non-perishable food items for the South Plainfield Food Pantry.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- On Thursday afternoon, we have concurrent programs for kids and their parents. The kids will be busy with the “LEGO Builders Club”, while the parents can attend the informal Homeschoolers support group. Both programs start at 3:00.
- And on Thursday evening at 6:30, we have the “Beginner Book Club”. Children age 6-8 will read & discuss an Easy Reader book from our collection.
- Next Friday afternoon, we’re holding another “Drive-In Movie Craft” program for the kids at 2:00. Bring in a box big enough for them to sit in, and they’ll make their own car. The movie will start promptly at 2:45 (there won’t be twenty minutes of previews); please check with Miss Mija regarding what we’re showing. The kids can bring their own snacks.
- And on Saturday, August 12th, from 1-3PM, the 501st Legion (a.k.a. “Vader’s Fist”) will make an appearance down the street at the aforementioned Senior Center. It’s for all ages, and there will be games and activities. Please do not attempt to mind-trick them regarding those droids.
And, for the older kids, the Anime Club will meet on Wednesday afternoon at 3:00. It’s for kids age 10 & up, and they’ll be watching a video. Please check with us regarding title & running time.
Turning to the adult programs, we’ll be hosting the program, “A New French Revolution: Impressionism in Art” on Saturday afternoon at 2:00. The program, the first in a series on art, will feature Dr. Michael Norris of Armchair Art Tours. The program is free, but pre-registration is required.
You can still sign up for Job Search Skills Coaching, offered by the Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. It’s on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00, and it’s by appointment only.
The next Monday Night Movie will be shown on, of course, Monday night at 6:30. It’s being shown free of charge; no pre-registration is needed. The movie will be shown again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30. Please call for title & content information. We can say that it’s the third reboot involving one of the movies’ more popular giant monsters. Be advised that Fay Wray and the Empire State Building do not make an appearance, nor do they smear the Chrysler Building with bananas.
The Tuesday Book Club will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. They’ll be discussing Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. No pre-registration is required.
The Library Board of Trustees will meet on Tuesday evening at 6:30. Members of the public may attend and learn more about the Library’s current & future plans. There will be a public comment time before New Business is addressed.
Also, just a reminder that our ESL Conversation Groups will be taking a break in August. They’ll start up again in September.
That’s about all we can fit in for this week. If you have any questions, please give us a call at (908) 754-7885. There are also details on our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks for reading, and we hope you enjoy what’s left of the summer.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.