So, have you gotten the kids’ costumes ready? Bought up loads of candy? Put up the cobwebs and jack-o-lanterns? Prepared for the Martian war machines? If you have, then you should take a break and read up on news from South Plainfield Library:
We’ll start with our revised and updated schedule of children’s programs:
- This Friday (Oct. 25th), this Saturday (Oct. 26th) and next Friday (Nov. 1st), we’ll be holding our “Babytime” programs for children age 2 & under. The Friday morning double-feature of programs start at 10:15 and 11:15, respectively, while the Saturday morning program starts at 10:15.
- Ms. Maria will be leading our Italian language ”Storytime” programs each Friday afternoon at 3:30. It’s for children age 5-7, is presented in English and Italian, and includes stories and a craft activity.
- We’ve expanded our number of “Toddler Time” programs each week. They’re for children age 2 & 3 and are held on Saturday morning at 11:30, and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- Our Chinese language “Storytime” program, led by Ms. Kitty, is held on Monday morning at 10:30, and is for children in grades 1 & over. Later in the week, our Chinese language Book Club will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. It’s also led by Ms. Kitty and is also for children in grades 1 & over. Both programs feature stories presented in Mandarin.
- We’ve also increased the number of “Playtime” programs, for kids age 2 & 3. They’re held on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 11:15.
- The “Read Along Book Club” will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:30. It’s for kids age 5-7, and they’ll be reading and discussing selected Easy Reader books. Copies of the book are available in the Children’s Room.
All of these programs are presented free of charge, and no pre-registration is required. And you might want to check our website & Facebook page for more details on other changes in our usual Children’s program schedule. (See below for the addresses.)
Now let’s move to our programs for adults and near-adults:
- We’ll have a Saturday Crochet Class this Saturday morning at 10:00. It’s for adults and young people age 14 & over, and teaches basic crochet techniques. It’s free of charge, but you must pre-register. Please call us to sign up and get details about needed materials. (See below for the phone number, too.)
- Our English Conversation Groups will meet on Saturday morning at 10:00, Monday morning at 10:30, and Thursday afternoon at 1:00. These are for people who are new English speakers who want to practice their conversation skills. No pre-registration is required.
- We’ve got a special program set for Saturday afternoon at 2:00. It’s “Debt Management and Increasing Cash Flow”, a financial program led by Certified Financial Educator/accountant Sarah Ruzol. The program is presented free of charge, but pre-registration is required.
- We’re still offering Job Search Skills Coaching on Monday afternoon, starting at 1:00. It’s provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. These one-on-one sessions are free of charge, but are by appointment only, so you must call ahead.
- Our next “Monday Night Movie” presentation is scheduled for (of course) Monday night at 6:30. It’s presented free of charge, and you don’t need to pre-register. We’ll provide the popcorn; you’ll have to bring your own candy (assuming you don’t want to save it for next Thursday). The movie will be repeated on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30, minus the popcorn. Please call the Library for title and content information. We can say that it’s a biopic about one of England’s most famous rock stars, and is named after one of his biggest hits (and not the cover version Shatner did).
- And we’ll have a special movie presentation for Halloween next Thursday night, starting at 6;30. Again, please call us for more details. We can say that it features three of Universal’s most fearsome monsters facing their ultimate opponents: two Vaudeville comics from Jersey.
- And here’s a heads-up about an upcoming program: the South Plainfield Historical Society will present their “Pop-Up Museum” program on Saturday morning, Nov. 1st, starting at 10:00. It’ll feature historical items from the History Center, including photos, clippings, SPHS yearbooks, and artifacts. There will also be photo scanning, children’s activities, trivia questions, and a lecture on local history by historian/author Dr. Richard Veit. The lecture will start that afternoon at 1:00. No pre-registration is required; refreshments will be served.
That’s about all we have room for right now. For more information, please call us at (908) 754-7885, check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or look up our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you in November. The sugar rush should’ve worn off by then.