Well, here in the Garden State, we’re slightly less locked down than we have been over the past few weeks. And, while the South Plainfield Library building remains closed, our staff is still pretty active on your behalf. We’re still able to provide services (like e-books, library cards and databases) and present programs for our patrons, if only via technology. (And just a reminder that most of the programs are accessible via Zoom, so you’ll need to sign up for the service. Contact us via the relevant email addresses below for more details regarding access.) Here’s a look at what’s coming:
Let’s shake things up and start with our upcoming programs for adults:
- Our next Classic Movie Presentation is set for tomorrow afternoon (May 29th) at 2:00. All you have to is click on the link on our Facebook posting; no pre-registration required. This Friday, we’ll be presenting another movie with the four Marx Brothers, plus a bonus cartoon. And it looks like that guy who thinks he’s a movie expert will be doing another introduction; you can listen to that, too, if you’re interested.
- Our English Conversation Group is now meeting on Monday evenings at 8:00. It’s for new English speakers who want to practice their conversation skills. Please contact Ms. Eve at email@example.com for information.
- “Yoga, Deep Relaxation & Meditation for Everyone” is held on Saturday morning at 10:20. It’s open to everyone; the Zoom ID number is 284 377 3557. For more details, you can go to www.facebook.com/Ekatmyoga/.
- And the next meeting on the on-line Adult Book Club is set for Tuesday afternoon, June 9th, at 4:00. They’ll be discussing Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman, and, if you don’t have the actual book, you can download it via Hoopla. (See our website for details on that.) Please email the aforementioned Ms. Eve for access to the club meeting.
Turning to the children’s programming:
- There will be a sensory-friendly virtual theater performance by the Propbox Players this Saturday morning (May 30th) at 11:00. It’s for all ages, and it’s an improv performance that involves audience participation. To register, please contact Ms. Jailene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Chinese language “Storytime”, presented in English and Mandarin, is held on Monday mornings at 10:30. It’s for all ages, and you can email Ms. Kitty at email@example.com for information.
- We also have the “Mommy (or Daddy) & Me Kung-Fu Classes”, led by Master Cheung. The next one will be held on Monday afternoon at 4:30. Please email Ms. Kitty for information; please include your child’s name and age.
- Our “Storytime” programs will meet throughout next week. The programs for children age 2-4 will be held at 10:30 on Tuesday morning (contact Ms. Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org), Wednesday morning (contact Ms. Jessica at email@example.com), and Thursday morning (contact Ms. Audrey at firstname.lastname@example.org). There’s also a program for children age 4 & over on Wednesday evening at 6:30, please contact Ms. Jailene for information.
- The Chinese language Book Club will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 1:30. It’s for children in 1st Grade and over who have some knowledge of Mandarin. Please check with Ms. Kitty for information.
- We’re still doing our weekly “LEGO Challenge”, led by Ms. Kitty. The kids can check our Facebook page (stay tuned for the address) for information on next week’s theme. Then they can send photos of their creations to Ms. Kitty on Thursday between 10 am and 2 pm. They should include their name, age and the name of the work. We’ll post the pictures and ask the viewers at home to vote for their favorite.
- Ms. Jailene’s “Let’s Learn Spanish” class is held every Thursday evening at 6:30. You can check with her for details.
- For those kids with a green thumb (and probably dirty fingernails), Ms. Audrey is handling our “How Does Your Garden Grow?” program. Kids can email pictures of seeds they’ve planted or something growing wild so we can keep track of them. Please send in the photos by 6:00 next Friday evening; include your name, age and what it’s a picture of. We’ll be sure to post the photos.
- Our “Babytime” program for children age 2 & under is held on Friday morning at 10:15. You can register for the program by emailing Ms. Audrey; she & Ms. Mija will be handling this program.
- And Ms. Jailene’s weekly Spanish language “Storytime” program is posted each week on the Library’s YouTube page (the address is . Please watch for the next posting.
Okay, so who says we’re not busy even during the downtime? And that’s just for next week; we’ll have more programs coming up in June. To get the latest details, and keep track of any last minute changes, you can check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary.
One more item: we know that you’re all eager for us to re-open and for things to get back to semi-normal. Rest assured that we’re just as eager for that, too. At present, we don’t know when that’ll be, but we are planning on how things will work when the time comes. We’ll keep you informed as to when and how when the “when” and the “how” are narrowed down. In the interim, we really appreciate your support and understanding.
That’s about all for now. Catch you later.
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.