Well, it seems the South Plainfield Library is just a little bit closer to something remotely resembling business as usual. Here are a few details:
This past Monday, we re-opened to the public, in a limited fashion. There are a number of restrictions and regulations in place. Patrons are permitted in the building from 10:30 am- 6 pm on weekdays, and 9:30 am – 5 pm on Saturdays; we’re still closed on Sunday. Appointments to use the Library are encouraged, except for Notary services, where they are mandatory. The last appointments to be scheduled will be at 5:00 on weekdays, and 4:00 on Saturdays. The number of people in the building at any one time is limited to 25. Masks are required, as is proper social distancing. No indoor seating will be available; patrons should browse for their selections and check them out as soon as possible. Study rooms will be unavailable until further notice. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Computer access is limited to a maximum of one hour per day. Fees and fines are being handled on a non-cash basis, and must be paid for via a credit or debit card at the self-checkout machines. Meanwhile, for those who’d prefer not come in the building, we’ll be continuing our curbside pickup service.
Now, those are just the main points. If you’d like to see the full list of rules & regs (and you’re strongly encouraged to read them carefully), please go to our website. (See below for that address.) And please understand that we’re still working through this very new procedure for a very unusual time. Thanks a lot for your consideration.|
While we’re somewhat open to patrons, we’re still refraining for restarting our schedule of in-person programming. Our virtual programming schedule continues, though. Most of these programs are conducted via Zoom; you can register for them and get access codes through the aforementioned website. Let’s start the rundown with the kids’ stuff:
- This Friday (July 24th) and next Friday (July 31st), we have our “Babytime” program for kids age 2 & under at 10:15.
- We’ll be featuring a performance by Mr. Scott (not the one from Star Fleet) Friday morning at 11:00.
- Kids can still share the photos of their botanical projects though Ms. Audrey’s “How Does Your Garden Grow?” program. Please email the pictures to us by 6:00 on Friday evening.
- The next sensory-friendly performance by the Propbox Players will be held on Saturday morning at 11:00. They’ll be performing “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”. It’s for kids ages 3-8.
- Our Chinese-language “Storytime”, led by Ms. Kitty, is scheduled for Monday morning at 10:30. It’ll be presented in English and Mandarin, and is for all ages.
- Later on, we’ll have the Korean-language “Storytime”, also for all ages, with Ms. Park that afternoon at 2:00.
- The “Mommy (or Daddy) & Me” kung-fu class with Master Cheung is set for Monday afternoon at 4:30. It’s for kids age 5 & over.
- We’ll have three “Storytime” programs for children age 3 & over next week. They’re set for Tuesday morning at 10:30, Wednesday morning at 10:30, Wednesday evening at 6:30, and Thursday morning at 10:30.
- The “Chinese-Language Book Club”, for children in 1st Grade & over, will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 1:30. The program will be presented in Mandarin.
- We’ll be presenting a Hip-Hop Dance Class for children age 6-9 on Tuesday afternoon at 5:45. It’s presented by Jill Justin Dance Alliance, and the kids should wear comfortable clothing.
- We’ll have a “Yoga for Kids” program on Wednesday afternoon at 3:00. It’s for kids from age 5-10, and it’s led by instructor Suchitra Uniyal. Space is limited for this program. The kids should wear comfortable clothing for this one, too.
- Ms. Jess will be leading a “Tween Trivia Time” program for young people age 8 & over on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00. They’ll be looking at junk food trivia this time.
- Kids can send pictures of their creations for the “LEGO Builders Weekly Challenge” to Ms. Kitty from 10 am – 2 pm on Thursday.
- And Ms. Jailene’s “Let’s Learn Spanish” program is set for Thursday evening at 6:30. And don’t forget about her weekly Spanish-language “Storytime” program; it’s posted over on our YouTube channel.
And let’s move over to the programs for not-so-young people:
- This week’s “Classic Movie Presentation” will start Friday afternoon at 2:00. You’ll find the link to the movie posted on our Facebook page. (Stay tuned for that address.) This week, we’re showing a movie based on a classic British TV series. More specifically, the one with the blue box and the aliens in the heavily-armed pepperpot-like machines.
- The “Yoga, Deep Relaxation & Meditation” program will be held on Saturday morning at 10:30.
- Our “English Conversation Group” will meet on Monday evening at 8:00. It’s for new English speakers who’d like to practice their conversational skills.
And just a reminder that we’re still holding our Summer Reading Program, “Imagine Your Story”, for both young people and adults. You’ll find details on our website.
That’s about all for now. For more details, you can call us at (908) 754-7885 or you can check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us. You can also look up our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. We realize this is a lot to sort through, but look on the bright side: it takes your mind off the heat & humidity. See you next time.