Time for a whole lot of news from South Plainfield Library:
First, we’ll be closed on Wednesday in observance of Lincoln’s Birthday, and on Sunday, Feb. 16th, and Monday, Feb. 17th, in observance of President’s Day.
Turning to our children’s programs:
- We’ll have “Babytime”, for children age 2 & under, this Friday morning (Feb. 7th) and next Friday morning (Feb. 14th) at 10:15 and 11:15, and on Saturday morning at 10:15.
- We’ll be holding a special tween program, “The Candy Olympics”, this Friday afternoon at 3:00. It’s for young people age 10 & over.
- Our Italian language “Storytime” program with Ms. Maria is scheduled for this Friday afternoon at 3:30. It’s for all ages.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, is set for Saturday morning at 11:30, and Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- Our Chinese language “Storytime” program, for children age 2-6, is set for Monday morning at 10:30, while the “Chinese Book Club”, for kids in 1st Grade & up, is set for Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. Ms. Kitty will lead both programs. They are presented in Mandarin, and some knowledge of the language is recommended for the Book Club.
- We have our new “Afternoon Gaming” program scheduled for Monday afternoon at 3:00. It’s for young people age 12 & over. We’ll have a docking station available for Nintendo Switch, or they can be old-fashioned and play one of our board games.
- Our Spanish language “Storytime” program, for children age 2-6, is scheduled for Monday evening at 6:30, our “Let’s Learn Spanish” instructional program, for kids age 3-12, set for Thursday evening at 6:30. Ms. Jailene will be leading both programs.
- Our “Playtime” programs, also for kids age 2 & over, will be held on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 11:15, right after “Toddler Time”.
- This month’s “S.T.E.A.M. Troop” programs with Ms. Kitty are scheduled for this Thursday afternoon at 4:00, with a second session on Saturday, Feb. 29th, at 3:30. For February, she’ll be repeating the Arduino class from last month.
- Next Friday, we’ll be holding an “Anti-Valentine’s Day Chill Zone” program at 2:00. It’ll feature snacks and craft activities, and is for young people age 10 & over. Tommy guns will not be permitted in the building.
- And we’ll have our next Korean language “Storytime” program with Ms. Park on Saturday, Feb. 15th, at 12:30PM. It’s for children of all ages. (We’ll add programs in Wookiee as soon as we find someone with the lung power for the language.)
We also have a few adult programs in the coming days:
- Our English Conversation Groups, for new English speakers wishing to practice their skills, will meet Saturday morning at 9:00, Monday morning at 10:30, and Thursday afternoon at 1:00. No pre-registration is needed.
- Saturday afternoon at 2:00, we’ll be presenting “Rosa Parks: The First Lady of Civil Rights”. This historical program will feature actor/historian Alexandra Ford as Rosa Parks. The program is free, but pre-registration is required. This program is provided through funding from the Public Scholars Project of the NJ Council for the Humanities, and is produced by the American Historical Theater.
- On Sunday afternoon at 2:00, we’ll be presenting another classic comedy. There’s no admission charge, and you don’t need to pre-register. Please call us for title & content information. We can say that it stars Laurel & Hardy. We’ll provide the popcorn, but you’ll have to bring your own fez.
- We’re still offering Job Search Skills Coaching, provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick, on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. These one-on-one sessions are by appointment only, so please call ahead.
- Judy England-McCarthy will be leading another Tai Chi Workshop on Monday afternoon at 1:00. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required. Participants are asked to wear comfortable clothing.
- The next “Monday Night Movie” presentation is scheduled for this Monday night at 6:30. It’s free of charge and we’ll provide the popcorn. Again, please call for title & content information. We can say that it’s a 2019 rom-com set in England and based on a popular Holiday season song (which means we’re either two months late or ten months early with this movie). Due to the Wednesday closing, the movie will be repeated on Tuesday afternoon at 12:30.
- The “Tuesday Book Club” will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. Participants will be discussing And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. No pre-registration is required.
- The next Library Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Tuesday evening at 6:30. Members of the public are invited to attend and learn more about the Library’s current & future plans. No pre-registration is required. There will be a public comment time before New Business is addressed.
We have room for a few advisories. First, the Federal Income Tax forms & booklets are now available next to the Reference Desk. Specialized schedules and NJ State Tax forms may be downloaded and printed out from the relevant websites. A copy of the NJ State Tax booklet is available at Reference; you may copy from it but it can't leave the building. Don’t forget that our staff is not permitted to make recommendations or give advice regarding tax preparation.
And you’ll notice some shelves have been rearranged. That’s because, in order to make better use of available space, we’ve removed most of the Reference section (since current information is available via computer) and interfiled the Young Adult Non-Fiction collection with our regular Non-Fiction books. Check with a librarian if you need help finding what you’re looking for.
That’s about all we can fit in this time. Please call us at (908) 754-7885 for more details. You may also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or look up our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. See you next time.