Well, we certainly hope you’re adjusting to this new year of 2020, as you put up new calendars, start new daily planners, and try not to put 2019 on your checks. Meanwhile, we at the Library are starting the year with a bunch of programming. For instance…
First, just a reminder that we’ll be closed on Sunday, January 19th and Monday, January 20th in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Turning to our children’s programs:
- We’ll be holding our “Babytime” programs, for children age 2 & under, both this Friday morning (January 10th) and next Friday morning (January 17th) at 10:15 and 11:15, respectively.
- Also on those successive Fridays, we’ll be holding our Italian language “Storytime” programs, led by Ms. Maria, each afternoon at 3:30.
- Our regular kids’ programs have been pre-empted this Saturday morning so we can host a Lunar New Year Celebration, starting at 11:30. This Chinese cultural program will include crafts, music, poetry, and Lion Dance and Kung-Fu demonstrations from Cheung’s Martial Arts Academy. Refreshments will be served. It’s for all ages, and you don’t need to pre-register. We’ll be holding the program just down the street at the Senior Center. (That’s at 90 Maple Ave., to be precise.)
- We’ll have two bi-lingual “Storytime” programs on Monday. The Chinese language program, led by Ms. Kitty, will be held on Monday morning at 10:30, and is for children 2-6. And the Spanish language program, led by Ms. Jailene & Ms. Mija, will be held Monday evening at 6:30, and is for children age 2-6.
- Our “Toddler Time” programs, for children age 2 & over, will be held on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30. Each one will be followed by the “Playtime” program, starting at 11:15.
- The “Chinese Book Club” will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00, led by Ms. Kitty. It’s for children in 1st Grade & over who have some knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.
- Next Wednesday afternoon, we’ll hold another “Chill Zone” program for young people age 10 & over. It’s an informal program where the kids can play board games, study, do homework, or just relax. Snacks are permitted, and we’d appreciate it if spills are kept to a minimum.
- We’ll have our “Family Storytime” program, for children age 3 & over, next Wednesday night at 6:30.
- The “LEGO Builders Club”, for children age 3 & over, will meet next Thursday afternoon at 3:30.
- On next Thursday evening (January 9th) at 6:30, we’ll be holding the “Daddy & Me Kung-Fu Workshop”. It’s for kids age 6 & over, accompanied by an adult. (Okay, title aside, it’s not restricted to daddies.) Master Cheung from Cheung’s Martial Arts Academy will be passing along basic martial arts instruction. Space is limited for this program, so you must pre-register.
- And the Anime Club will meet next Friday afternoon (January 10th) at 3:00. It’s for young people age 10 & over.
Amazingly enough, we have room for a few adult programs next week:
- Our English Conversation Groups will be meeting Saturday morning (January 11th) at 10:00, Monday morning at 10:30, and on Thursday afternoon at 1:00. They’re for new English speakers who’d like to practice their conversation skills. No pre-registration is needed.
- The Job Search Skills Coaching sessions will be held on Monday afternoon, starting at 1:00. These one-on-one sessions are provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. They’re free of charge, but you must register in advance.
- At this writing, there’s still space available for the Tai Chi workshop on Monday afternoon at 1:00. Led by Judy England-McCarthy, it’s presented free, but you must pre-register. Participants are asked to wear comfortable clothes.
- Our next “Monday Night Movie” presentation is set for Monday evening at 6:30. It’s presented free of charge, and we’ll provide the popcorn. If you can’t make it on Monday night, we’ll be running it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30. Please call us for title and content information. We can say that it stars Brad Pitt, is a sci-fi movie from 2019, and it’s not the one that addresses the “Reylo” controversy.
- The “Tuesday Book Club” will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. No pre-registration is required. Participants will be discussing book choices for 2020.
- The Library Board of Trustees will meet on Tuesday evening at 6:30. Members of the public are invited to attend. This will be their annual reorganization meeting, including information on the Library’s yearly schedule. There will be a public comment period before New Business is addressed.
- And the Toastmasters Public Speaking Group will meet on Wednesday evening at 7:45. No pre-registration is required.
That’s about all we can fit in this week. If you have any questions, you can give us a call at (908) 754-7885 during normal hours. For more details, you can also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. See you next week.