With any luck, you can spare a few minutes from buying presents, putting up decorations, searching for a parking space, using the ATM, addressing & mailing cards (how old-fashioned!), and taking your kids to the next showing of “Frozen II” to look at news from South Plainfield Library:
First, just a reminder that we’ll be closed on December 24th & 25th in observance of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, respectively.
Starting with the children’s programming:
- Our “Babytime” programs, for children age 2 & under, are scheduled for this Friday morning (December 13th) and next Friday morning (December 20th) at 10:15 and 11:15, as well as Saturday morning at 10:15.
- The Italian language ‘Storytime” program with Ms. Maria is set for this Friday and next Friday afternoons at 3:30.
- Also at 3:30 this Friday afternoon, we’ll be having another “Drive-In Movie” Craft Program for kids age of all ages. The kids should bring a box large enough to sit in and be converted into a car. We’ll provide the other materials. Afterward, we’ll be showing a Holiday movie. Please call us for title & content information. We can say that it’s a CGI movie featuring Tom Hanks where his character is not a toy.
- The schedule for our “Toddler Time” programs, for children age 2 & over, is Saturday morning at 11:30, and Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday mornings at 10:30. The weekday programs will be followed by “Playtime” at 11:15.
- We’ll have two bi-lingual “Storytime” programs on Monday: the Chinese program with Ms. Kitty that morning at 10:30, and the Spanish language program with Ms. Jailene and Ms. Mija that evening at 6:30.
- We’ve got another kids’ craft program on Tuesday afternoon from 3:30-5:00. The youngsters can stop in during that time and make a holiday ornament. It’s for children age 5 & over, and we’ll provide the materials.
- The “Chinese Language Book Club”, led by Ms. Kitty, will meet on Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. It’s for children from 1st Grade and over, and some knowledge of Chinese is required.
- The “Tween Graphic Novel Club”, for young people age 8 & over, will meet on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00. They’ll be discussing Meg, Jo, Beth & Amy by Terciero & Indigo. Copies of the book are available at the Children’s Desk.
- We’ll have a special “Pajama Party Storytime” program for children of all ages on Wednesday evening at 6:30. It’ll feature Holiday stories, refreshments, and a special guest.
- The “LEGO Builders Club” will be meeting on next Thursday afternoon at 3:30. That’s for kids age 3 & over.
- Our “Let’s Learn Spanish” class with Ms. Jailene will be meeting on next Thursday evening at 6:30. It’s for kids age 3-12.
- And the “Anime Club” for young people age 10 & over will be meeting on next Friday afternoon at 3:00. Dubbing is optional.
Turning to activities for our somewhat older patrons:
- The ESL Conversation groups will be meeting on Saturday morning at 10:00 and on Monday morning at 10:30. (The Thursday group won’t be meeting next week.) These groups are for new English speakers looking to practice their conversation skills. No pre-registration is required.
- At this writing, there’s still open space in this Saturday afternoon’s “Adult Crafternoon” program at 1:00. Participants will be making a snowman decoration from a paving stone. Pre-registration is required.
- We’ll be showing this month’s “Classic Movie Sunday” selection on, appropriately enough, Sunday afternoon at 2:00. There’s no admission fee, and we’ll provide the popcorn. Please check with us for title & content information. We can say that it’s a Christmas movie from 1947 about the legendary legal action involving New York vs. Kringle.
- The Job Search Skills Coaching sessions provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick are scheduled for Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. These one-on-one sessions are by appointment only, so you must pre-register.
- The next “Monday Night Movie” presentation is set for Monday evening at 6:30. It’s being presented free of charge, and no pre-registration is required. Once again, please call for title & content information. We can say that it’s a mystery/dramedy from 2019 starring Cate Blanchett. If you miss it on Monday, we’ll show it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30. Sorry, we’ll only be providing popcorn for the Monday showing. (Hey, we’ve got four movies over the next week, and only so much popcorn to go around.)
- The Toastmasters Public Speaking Group will be meeting on Wednesday evening at 7:45. No pre-registration is required.
- And the next meeting of the Friends of the Library is scheduled for next Thursday evening at 7:00. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend and find out more about how to support the Library.
And one more quick advisory: if we have to close due to weather or some other emergency, we’ll make sure the word gets out to you ASAP. It will be posted on our website and Facebook pages, as well as announced over radio station 101.5FM and on TV via News12. We’re working on the tech for the 100 ft. hologram message over the building.
That’s all we can fit in today. If you’d like more details, please call (908) 754-7885, check the website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or check our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. And we hope you’re having a happy and safe, if busy, Holiday season.