PISCATAWAY, NJ – Firefighters from multiple Piscataway stations and from other towns reported to a call of heavy fire in the rear of a house on Blackford Ave. Friday night.

A neighbor who lives next to the scene said to TAPinto Piscataway that she was told to evacuate her home due to the heavy flames that may have been started by a grill that was used too close to the house.

Mayor Brian Wahler would not confirm the cause but said fire crews speculated the fire started on the deck and that they were waiting for the official report to come from the fire marshal who had just arrived at the scene.

Sign Up for E-News

None of the four adults who live in the house were injured in the fire, but one cat perished and two others were taken to a local veterinarian for treatment.

“Unfortunately the owners just bought the house about a month ago,” said Wahler. “It’s a shame this transpired out here.”

Five Piscataway fire companies were on scene, and two from South Plainfield were there for backup. A crew from PSEG was called in to secure utilities to the home. 

Most of the damage was located in the rear of the house although fire damage could be seen in the front and in the garage. “All of the siding is burned off the rear of the house,” reported Wahler.

The township’s building department will do an inspection on Monday to determine if the house can be saved.

TAPintoPiscataway.net is a free online newspaper serving the Township of Piscataway. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @PiscatawayTAP.

Businesses: Advertise with TAPinto Piscataway. Click here for more information.