When Sassy Sienna put her dark bay nose first on the wire in Oaklawn Park's $400,000, Grade 3 Fantasy Stakes on Friday, the 13th, she became a more than lucky possible starter for Churchill Downs' Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks on May 4. The Medallion Racing and Jerry McClanahan color bearer earned 100 Oaks and points to secure the third spot on the 14-filly list of Oaks qualifiers.
She closed out the qualifying season with 115 points, 39 ahead of Monomoy Girl, the winner of Keeneland's Grade 1 Central Bank Ashland and 45 points behind the top qualifier, Midnight Bisou, the winner of Santa Anita's $400,000, Grade 1 Santa Anita Oaks in her last effort.
With Hall of Fame rider Gary Stevens in the saddle for trainer Brad Cox, the daughter of Midshipman from the Pleasant Tap mare Tap for Gold defeated seven rivals in the 8-1/2 furlong Fantasy that was run over a sealed but fast track on a rainy Kentucky afternoon. She stopped the timer in 1:45.63 to secure her first graded stake win.
Gary Barber's Wonder Godot took second money in the Fantasy to finish seventh on the Oaks qualifying list.
Final Oaks Standings
Here are the final standings for the 14 fillies that have qualified for a starting gate stall in the May 4 running of Churchill Downs' Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks. Fillies with an equal number of points are separated by unrestricted purse earnings. However, under the convoluted system employed by Churchill, there is no advantage to finishing at the top of the list — nor is there a penalty for qualifying last. All starters will carry 121 pounds. Post positions bill be determined by the roll of Racing Secretary Ben Huffman's pill bottle.
160 points. Allen and Bloom Racing's Midnight Bisou, Trainer Bill Spawr, $440,000
154. Michael Dubb and Monomoy Racing's Monomoy Girl, Brad Cox, $506,150
115. Zayat Stables' Sassy Sienna, Brad Cox, $318,000
112. Courtland Farm's My Miss Lilly, Mark Hennig, $219,400
100. Double Doors Racing's Chocolate Martini, Tom Amoss, $240,000
100. Roddy Valente, RAP Racing and West Point Thoroughbreds' Coach Rocks, Dale Romans, $145,700. 90. Sheikh Rashid Bin Humaid Al Nuami's Rayya, Doug Watson, $600,000
84. Gary Barber's Wonder Gadot, Mark Casse, $360,002
80. Magdelena Racing, Gainesway and Harold Lerner's Eskimo Kisses, Ken McPeek, $180,000. 70. Peter Deutsch's Take Charge Paula, Kiaran McLaughlin, $272,720
62. Norma Lee Stockseth and Todd Dunn's Cosmic Burst, Donnie Von Hemel
50. Cleber J. Massey's Blamed, Joel H. Marr, $100,000
40. Novogratz Racing Stable's Amy's Challenge, McLean Robertson, $200,000.35. Craig Upham's Patrona Margarita, Bret Calhoun, $174,320.
Fillies finishing in the top 14 who are known to be bypassing the Oaks, have not been nominated or who are recovering from injuries have not been included in the list.
See more Equestrian news at www.TAPintoHorses.net
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TAPintoHorses/
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.