SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ – In 2016, the Borough of South Plainfield celebrated its 90th anniversary, paying homage to the town’s official incorporation and successful separation from Piscataway after 260 years. In the past nine decades, homes have been constructed on land once rich in crops, schools were rebuilt and relocated, and shopping centers now sit where Hadley Field once served as a landing site for the United States Postal Service.
While the landscape of the borough has changed in various ways since 1926, several longstanding fixtures remain. Among them are several independent and family-run businesses that have been around for more than a quarter of a century as well as others that have called South Plainfield home for 50-, 90-, and even 100-plus years.
Earlier this year, the Borough of South Plainfield’s Business Economic Development Advisory Group (BESAG) began compiling a list of businesses that have called the borough home for decades and there are plans for them to be honored next week. They include:
• 100-plus years: Harris Structural Steel Company
• 90-plus years: Coppola’s Garden Center and Nischwitz Feed & Fuel
• 50-plus years: Halls Warehouse Corp., Licato Insurance, Penyak Roofing, Peter Pan Pharmacy, R & C Auto Body, Tony's Pizzeria, and Giakas Cleaners
• 40-plus years: Carousel, Lifetec Forklifts, McCriskin-Gustafson Home for Funerals, Mohn’s Flowers & Fancy Foods, and Twin City Pharmacy & Surgical
• 30-plus years: Cindy Michaels Jewelers, HK Trucking, Paul’s Stationary (based on current ownership), Presto Printing, Pinto Brothers Disposal, and Salerno’s Pizza
Mayor Matt Anesh and the borough council will honor the aforementioned businesses at the 6th Annual Taste of South Plainfield, which will be held Monday, March 13 at the senior center from 6 to 9 p.m. The event will feature samples of local cuisine, gourmet and ethic specialties and desserts, and a wine and spirit tasting courtesy of Wine Country. Tickets are $20 per person in advance or $25 per person at the door with proceeds benefiting South Plainfield High School graduating seniors.
For information and/or tickets, contact Nancy Grennier at (908) 668-0010; Debbie Boyle at (908) 803-1573; or Marge Reedy at (908) 385-1765.
TAPinto South Plainfield is South Plainfield’s only free daily paper. Sign up to get all the news as it happens at www.TAPinto.net/enews and follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SouthPlainfieldTAP/ and on Twitter at @SoplainfieldTAP.