SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ - The National Weather Service has issued warnings regarding severe storms with damaging winds for this afternoon and this evening mainly before 10 pm. PSE&G is closely monitoring the rain and possibly severe thunderstorms expected this afternoon and evening. The wind gusts, heavy rain and lightning associated with summer storms can be dangerous and cause power outages. Please take time to review the following tips on how to prepare for, and be safe during, a storm:
Prepare for a storm:
- Check your supply of flashlights, nonperishable food and bottled water.
- Charge your cell phones, tablets and other mobile devices.
- Fill up your car's fuel tank.
- Bring in unsecured objects and furniture from patios and balconies.
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers, including PSE&G's Customer Service line 1-800-436-PSEG.
During a storm:
- Listen to news or radio for emergency updates.
- If you can hear thunder, go indoors and stay inside for at least 30 minutes after the last thunder clap.
- Use battery-powered equipment where possible.
- Keep away from windows.
- Do not take a bath, shower or use plumbing.
- If driving, safely exit the roadway and park. Stay in the vehicle and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rain ends.
- Stay away from downed electrical wires.
All downed wires should be considered dangerous. To report downed wires or power outages, call PSE&G's Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. You can also report power outages and view the status of your outage by logging in to My Account on pseg.com.
Stay in touch and keep informed:
PSE&G offers a number of ways to stay in touch and informed before, during and after a storm. These tools can be found at PSE&G's mobile-friendly website pseg.com in the "Outage Center."
- Updated every 15 minutes, PSE&G's online "Outage Map" displays the location and status of power outages in our service territory.
- Sign up for My Account and bookmark the mobile-friendly homepage on your smart phone to report outages and check restoration progress.
- To report power outages via text message, and receive outage updates by text and email, sign up for MyAlerts.
- Follow PSEG on Twitter and Facebook for tips and information about restoration progress.
- Be sure everyone in the family is prepared. Go to pseg.com/sesamestreet to download the PSEG and Sesame Street "Let's Get Ready!" emergency preparedness app for young children.