SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ - In the wake of the snowstorm that dumped approximately two feet of snow on South Plainfield, TAPinto would like to  remind residents to clear snow accumulated near or around exterior heating and-or clothes dryer vents.

According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America, a blocked exterior vent can result in carbon monoxide being forced back into one's living space.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas. As noted by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Carbon monoxide symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” Breathing in enough CO can cause one to pass out, and can prove fatal.

Sign Up for E-News

Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

TAPinto South Plainfield is South Plainfield’s only free daily paper, sign up to get all the news as it happens www.tapinto.net/enews and follow us on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/SouthPlainfieldTAP/​ and twitter @SoplainfieldTAP