So, are the cobwebs in place? Is the jack-o-lantern lit up? Have you spent too much money on candy? Is your copy of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” ready for viewing? Well, before you check on those things, let’s look at news from South Plainfield Library:
First, be advised that the Notary Public will be unavailable next Thursday (Nov. 2nd). Also, we’ll be closed on Friday (Nov. 10th) and Saturday (Nov. 11th) in observance of Veteran’s Day.
Turning to the children’s programs, we’ll have our usual schedule in place. “Usual” is defined here as:
- The Chess Club will meet on Saturday morning at 11:30. It’s for players of all ages and all skill levels. You can use one of our chess sets, or bring in one of your own. (Sorry, we don’t have those fancy timers in stock right now.)
-The LEGO Builders Club will meet on Monday afternoon from 3-4:30. It’s for kids age 7-12. It’s presented free; no pre-registration is required. And we’ll provide the LEGO pieces. (A word to parents: concurrent with the Thursday program, we’ll be hosting our informal meeting for homeschooling parents. You don’t need to sign up for this.)
- The “Storytime” program, for children age 3 & over, will be held on Tuesday morning at 10:30, Wednesday evening at 6:30 and Thursday afternoon at 1:15.
- The Tuesday “Storytime” program will be immediately followed by the “Puzzle & Game Playtime” program, also for children age 3 & over, at 11:30.
- Our “Toddler Time” program, for children age 2 & 3, will be held on Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- The “Meditation & Mindfulness for Kids” program, led by Miss Aimee, will be held on Wednesday evening at 7:45. It’s for kids age 7-12.
- And on Friday morning we’ll have our two “Babytime” programs. “Part 1”, for children age 2 & under who can’t walk on their own, will be held at 10:15. And it’ll be followed by “Part 2”, for children age 2 & under who can walk on their own, at 11:15. (We’ve no idea what “Part 3” might involve.)
We’ve also got a couple of special kids programs on the roster. First, Friday afternoon at 3:30, there’s the “Hallow-Tween” program for kids age 10 & over. Pre-registration is requested. Costumes age encouraged, but not required. Next, there’s the “Special Needs Sensory Storytime” on Sunday afternoon at 3:00. It’s a program designed for individual with special needs, from pre-school to young adult, who might not feel comfortable in a standard “Storytime” program. No pre-registration is required.
On Wednesday afternoon at 3:30, we’ll be continuing our “Deconstruct a Dyson” STEM program for young people age 10 & over. Participants will take apart and study a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Pre-registration is required (though you don’t have to clean up the building afterwards). And Saturday, Nov. 4th, we’ll be presenting a program on Diwali, the Indian Festival of Lights, from 11:30AM-1PM. It’s for children age 3 & over and pre-registration is required. It’ll be held down the street at the Senior Center, located at 90 Maple Ave.
So, what else is going on? There are a few things for our older patrons. First, the next installment of this month’s Saturday Crochet Class will be held Saturday morning at 10:00. It’s for adults and young people age 14 & over. Pre-registration is required. Please call the Library for details on needed materials.
Later that afternoon, at 1:30, we’ll be presenting a performance of “War of the Worlds” by Raconteur Radio, a group specializing in live presentations of vintage radio broadcasts. The program is being presented free of charge, but pre-registration is required. The program will be held at the aforementioned Senior Center. And, afterwards, please stop by the Library and pick up driving directions for your pilgrimage to Grover’s Mill.
Our English Conversation Group will meet on Monday morning at 10:30. It’s for people still learning English who wish to practice their conversation skills. Pre-registration is requested.
We’re still offering Job Search Skills Coaching on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. It’s provided by the Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. These one-on-one sessions are by appointment only; please call to sign up.
Our next “Monday Night Movie” presentation will be presented on Monday night at 6:30. It’s being presented free of charge; no pre-registration is required. This week, we’re showing an art house movie starring Salma Hayek, Chloe Sevigny and John Lithgow. Please call us for more details, as well as title & content information. And, if you miss the Monday showing, we’ll show it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30.
And the Mystery Book Club will meet on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00. Pre-registration is not required. Please call for details on this month’s title.
That’s about all for now. If you’d like more details, please call us at (908) 754-7885. You can also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or look up our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks very much for your attention. And, even though it’s a few days early…
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.