And here is (ACHOO!!) some more (ACHOO!!) news from (COUGH!!) South Plainfield Library:
First, our previously-postponed Holi program, celebrating the Indian festival of colors, has been postponed again. Due to predicted inclement weather, it has been rescheduled to Saturday, July 21st, from 11AM to 1PM. Let’s hope the weather cooperates with us.
We’ll have another “Special Needs Sensory Storytime” program on Sunday afternoon at 2:00. It’s for young people, from pre-school to young adult, with special needs who might have a problem with a standard “Storytime” program. Again, you don’t need to pre-register.
Turning to our children’s & young people’s programming:
- We’ll have another Chinese language “Storytime” program on Monday afternoon at 1:30. Presented primarily in Mandarin, it’s for children age 2-6.
- Later on Monday afternoon at 4:00, we’ll be having a “K-Pop Dance Workshop”, led by instructor Enoch Jo. It’s an afternoon of dance improve for young people in grade 6 and over. At this writing, there’s still space available for this program, but you must pre-register.
- We’ll have our “Storytime” programs, for children age 3-6, on Tuesday morning at 10:30, Wednesday evening at 6:30, and Thursday afternoon at 1:15. This week, the Wednesday session will be a “Pajama Storytime”, so the kids may attend in their PJ’s.
- The “Puzzle & Game Playtime” programs, also for children age 3-6, are set for Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 11:30.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, will be held at its normal time on Wednesday & Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- We’ll have another “Tabletop Gaming” program, for young people age 10 & over, on Wednesday afternoon at 3:00. Attendees may play games ranging from standard board games to RPG’s. “Star Wars” fans should be advised that using starship pink slips to cover Sabaac wagers is strictly prohibited.
- On Thursday afternoon at 3:00, we’ll host a “Spaghetti & Marshmallow Challenge” for all ages. No, it’s not some off-kilter cooking program. The kids will be showing off their engineering skills by making towers with the aforementioned materials. (The spaghetti will be uncooked and the marshmallows untoasted, of course.)
- Our two “Babytime” programs, each for children age 2 & under, are set for Friday morning, with Session One at 10:15, and Session Two at 11:15.
- And we’ll be hosting a STEAM (that’s Science Technology Engineering Arts Mathematics, folks) program on Friday afternoon at 3:00. It’s for kids age 6 & over, and they’ll be making constructions with straws & connectors.
- Finally, on Saturday afternoon, May 26th, we’ll be hosting a Mario Kart Blindfold Challenge, starting at 1:30. This tournament is for kids age 8 & over, and participants are required to register in groups of two.
All of these programs are free of charge and, unless otherwise noted, no pre-registration is required.
So, I think we may just have room for a look at the adult activities:
- Our expanded schedule of English Conversation Groups is going strong. These ESL programs are scheduled for Monday morning at 10:30, Monday evening at 7:00, and Tuesday afternoon at 1:00.
- We’re still offering Job Search Skills Coaching on Monday afternoons from 1-4. Provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick, these sessions are by appointment only.
- Our next Monday Night Movie is scheduled for Monday night at 6:30. Please call us for title & content information. We can say that it’s based on the true story of a notorious kidnapping case from 1973. (Not Patty Hearst; that was 1974.) The movie is free of charge, and we’ll provide the popcorn. (Sorry, our budget doesn’t allow for those huge buckets for it.) If you miss the movie on Monday, we’ll run it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30.
- There will be a meeting of the “Common Ground Support Group” on Thursday evening at 6:00. It’s for parents and caregivers of people with special needs. You don’t need to pre-register.
- Also on Thursday evening, at 7:00, the “Friends of the Library” will have their next meeting. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend.
We’ve got room for a quick note: surprising as it may seem, there are times when our Multi-Purpose room is actually not in use. We’ve had inquiries and requests from various people regarding using that room for meetings or programs. If you’d like to find out how that works, please stop by the Circulation Desk for a copy of our Meeting Room Policy. It’ll provide all the details you need to know.
That’s about all we can fit in for this week. If you’d like more information, please call (908) 754-7885 and the voice of some former radio announcer we found will direct your call. You may also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us, or check our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks for your attention, and make sure you have plenty of tissues handy for the foreseeable future.