As summer passes quickly by, and we prepare for autumn (or Holiday shopping season, whichever comes first), let’s look at news from South Plainfield Library:
First, be advised that we’ll be closed on Sunday, September 2nd, and Monday, September 3rd, in observance of Labor Day.
You’ll find our listings of children’s programming a bit sparse for a while. As the Children’s Department (along with the rest of the staff) recovers from Summer Reading and gears up for the new school year, our regularly scheduled children’s programming has been cancelled. It’ll resume on Monday, Oct. 1st. However, we still have a few programs coming up:
- We still have our two “Babytime” programs for children age 2 & under. They’ll be held Friday morning (August 18th). The first session is at 10:15, with the second one following at 11:15.
- We’ll have another “Drive-In Movie” craft program later that afternoon at 1:00. It’s for kids of all ages. They just have to bring a box large enough to sit in, and we’ll provide the other materials. Later, we’ll be screening a movie for the kids; refreshments will be served. Please leave your headlights off during the movie.
- After the movie, we’ll have a craft program for pre-schoolers at 4:30. The kids will be instructed on how to use safety scissors.
- We’ll have a “STEAM Storybook” program for children age 5 & over on Saturday morning at 10:30. It’ll feature ocean-based stories and water-themed experiments. Pre-registration is required.
- On Monday evening from 6:00-8:00, we’ll be holding an “End of Summer Reading Celebration” for the kids in the program. Weather permitting (a big consideration these days), it’ll be held in the playground behind the Library parking lot. (It’ll be moved indoors if it rains.) There will be craft activities, recognition of Summer Reading totals, and refreshments.
- And on Wednesday we’ll be having a “Scope Night” program starting at 7:00. John Miller of Pearl Observatory will be leading this astronomy program. It’ll be held in the parking lot behind the Library, and you may bring your own telescope. Anyone who sees alien war machines approaching the Earth should let us know ASAP.
All of these programs are free of charge and, except for the STEAM program, you don’t need to pre-register.
Meanwhile, our adult programming is also going on a much briefer hiatus for the next couple of weeks. We do have a few running, though:
- Our next Saturday Crochet Class is set for this Saturday morning at 10:00. It’s for adults & young people age 14 & over. Pre-registration is required, so please call ahead to sign up.
- Later that afternoon, we’ll have an Integral Yoga program at 2:00. It’ll include breathing exercises and meditation. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required.
- And there’s the Job Search Skills Coaching session on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. It’s a one-on-one session provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. It’s by appointment only, so please call ahead to schedule.
Due to some construction in our multi-purpose room, our Monday night and Wednesday afternoon movie presentations have been cancelled. They’ll be back after Labor Day. In the interim, feel free to borrow one of our extensive collection of DVDs. You’ll have to provide your own popcorn and/or pizza, though.
We have room for a few extra advisories this week. First, in response to several requests, we’ll be re-starting computer classes this fall. We’ll keep you advised on the details as soon as we set everything up.
Next, our museum pass program is extremely popular, which leads to the high demand for said passes. In the case of the passes for the Grounds for Sculpture and the Battleship New Jersey, it involves actual passes that you pick up from us, leaving a deposit which is returned to you when you return the pass. Be advised, though, that it’s best to call and reserve those passes well in advance (up to 90 days is allowed), since there are a limited number available.
And, for those of you who borrow from our videogame collection, we’ve now added games in the Nintendo Switch format, which uses a memory card rather than a CD-ROM disc. Our collection of games in this format is still small, but more will be added in the future. As for whatever the next new format that comes along will be, we’ll keep our eyes open.
Finally, our Notary Public has returned from his vacation and, having gotten his annual dosage of harness racing, horse pulls, tractor pulls, 4-H events and a demolition derby, he is back at work. Please call to check on his schedule.
That’s about all for this week. If you’d like more information, please call us at (908) 754-7885. You may also check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us, or check our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Catch you later.