Well, welcome to 2019! No doubt many of you are busy putting away the Holiday Season decorations, jotting down (and, possibly, quickly forgetting) your New Year’s resolutions, and wondering why 2019 is passing so quickly. But we’re sure you can spare a few moments for news from South Plainfield Library:
We’ll start, as we usually do, with the programs for children & young people:
- We’ll be having a craft program for young people age 10 & over Friday afternoon (January 4th) at 3:00. Participants will be working on a snowflake craft. Please bring your own scissors; we’ll supply the other materials.
- Our “Saturday Babytime” program is scheduled for Saturday morning at 10:30 (please note the new time). It’s for children age 2 & under.
- Our next Spanish language “Storytime”, led by Ms. Jailene, is set for Monday evening at 6:30. It’s for all ages, and features stories presented in both English and Spanish.
- Our “Storytime” programs, for children age 3 & over, will be held on Tuesday morning at 10:30 and on Wednesday evening at 6:30.
- The “Puzzle & Game Playtime” program, also for children age 3 & over, is scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 11:30.
- “Toddler Time”, for children age 2 & 3, is set for Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:30.
- We’re re-starting our “Meditation & Mindfulness for Kids” programs for children age 7-12. It’ll be held on Wednesday evening at 7:45.
- We’re going to be busy on Thursday afternoon, with two programs happening simultaneously. The Italian language “Storytime”, led by Ms. Maria; and the “LEGO Builders Club will both be held at 3:30. We’ll let you know which room each one may be found. And the following week, on January 17th, the “Pizza & Pages Book Club” for Young Adults is also set for the same time as these two other programs. (Don’t worry; we have enough room.)
- Our weekday “Babytime” programs, for children age 2 & under, is set for this Friday morning and next Friday morning at 10:15 and 11:15, respectively.
- We’ll be having a “Twister” game program for kids age 7 & over next Friday afternoon at 3:00.
- And the following Saturday afternoon (January 12th), we’ll have our next Chinese language “Storytime”, led by Ms. Kitty, at 1:30. The stories will be presented primarily in Mandarin.
All of these programs are presented free, and you don’t need to pre-register. Please check with the Children’s Dept. for more details.
Amazingly enough, we have room for some programming for adults next week:
- The “Drop-In Home Schooling Support Group” will be meeting on Monday afternoon at 3:00. You don’t need to pre-register.
- Our English Conversation Groups, for new English speakers who want to practice their skills, will be meeting on Monday morning at 10:30 and on Thursday afternoon at 1:00.
- We’re still hosting Job Search Skills Coaching, provided by Professional Service Group of New Brunswick, on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. These sessions are by appointment only, so you must call ahead.
- Following the Holiday season hiatus, our “Monday Night Movie” presentation will return this Monday evening at 6:30. It’s presented free of charge; no pre-registration is required. Please check with us for title & content information. We can say that it’s a comedy/thriller/mystery from 2018 with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. If you miss it on Monday, we’ll run it again on Wednesday afternoon at 12:30.
- The Tuesday Book Club will meet this Tuesday afternoon at 4:00. Attendees will be discussing upcoming titles for 2019. No pre-registration is required.
- The Library Board of Trustees will meet on Tuesday evening at 6:30. In addition to their annual reorganization, they will be discussing the Library’s current & future plans. There will be a public comment time before New Business is addressed. No pre-registration is required.
- Looking ahead, as noted last week, our Italian Film Festival will show its first feature on Thursday, January 17th, at 6:30. It’s presented by the Plainfields’ chapter of UNICO. It’s free of charge and you don’t need to pre-register. Once again, please call for title & content information. We can say that it’s a three-part romantic comedy anthology from 1963, starring Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. It will be presented in Italian, with English subtitles.
One more note: with at least three months or winter stretching before us, there’s a good chance we’ll have to close early, open late, or just cancel for the day due to weather (just like we did back before Thanksgiving). If that happens, we’ll make sure it’s announced on WCTC (1450 AM), NJ 101.5 FM, and on News12. It’ll also be posted on our website and our Facebook page, and on the LED sign outside the building. We’ll also let you know when we start back up again.
That’s about all for now. For more information, please call us at (908) 754-7885. You can also check the aforementioned website and Facebook page. For the website, please go to www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us, while the Facebook page is located at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary. Thanks very much for your attention; catch you later.