No, we haven’t reached autumn yet, though it might feel like it sometimes. We’re kinda, sorta in between seasons right about now, in a way. Fortunately, we at South Plainfield Library are here and operating throughout the year, even on the upcoming, supposedly unlucky Friday the 13th. Here’s what’s going on:
First, just a reminder that we’ve restarted our Sunday operating hours of 1:30-5pm. We’ll keep you informed of any upcoming schedule changes.
Next, our regularly-scheduled children’s programming is still on hiatus. Those programs will resume on Tuesday, October 1st. But it’s still OK for the kids to stop by the Children’s Room. The staff will appreciate the visit.
In addition, our Monday night and Wednesday afternoon movie presentations are also taking a break to allow for our upcoming book sale. (More on that in a bit.) The movies and the popcorn will also be back in October.
So, what is going on around here? Several things, actually:
- Our English Conversation Groups are all up and running again. They’re for people who’ve just started speaking English and wish to practice their conversation skills. These groups will meet this Saturday (Sept. 14th) and next Saturday (Sept. 21st) mornings at 10:00, Monday morning at 10:30, and Thursday afternoon at 1:00. You don’t need to pre-register for these programs.
- The next Saturday Crochet Class is set for tomorrow morning (Sept. 14th again) at 10:00. It’s for adults and young people age 14 & over, and provides some basic information on crocheting. It’s free of charge, but you must pre-register. Please call to sign up, and to get information on needed materials.
- We’re still hosting Job Search Skills Coaching sessions on Monday afternoon from 1:00-4:00. It’s provided by the Professional Service Group of New Brunswick. These one-on-one sessions are free, but are by appointment only. Please call to register.
- The next meeting of the Friends of the Library is set for next Thursday evening (Sept. 19th) at 7:00. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend. You don’t need to pre-register.
- Speaking of the Friends, they’ll be running our Book & Bake Sale, starting on Saturday, Sept. 21st. We’ll be offering a very wide variety of books and A/V items, with that sale running for the following week or as supplies last. (Figure on the former rather than the latter, folks.) We’ll be offering baked goods only on the 21st. Prices will be as marked, and will be real bargains. The sale will be held down in the Multi-Purpose Room.
- Also on the 21st, we’ll be hosting a Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration, starting at 12:00. Sponsored by the Library and the South Plainfield Cultural Arts Commission, it will feature dancing and craft activities. Refreshments will be served. It’s for all ages, and no pre-registration is required. Due to the Book & Bake Sale, we’ll be holding this program down the street at the Senior Center, specifically located at 90 Maple Ave.
- Looking forwards, we’ve got a health-related program coming up on Thursday night, Sept. 26th at 7:00. “Are You Getting a Good Night’s Sleep?” is a program on sleep disorders and how to deal with them. It’s provided by Hackensack Meridian Health. There’s no charge for the program, but you must pre-register.
We have room this week for another advisory. Recently, we’ve been working on weeding our collection and making sure all of our items are in their proper place in their proper section. One way you can help with this is by not trying to re-shelve books or other items you won’t be borrowing. Sometimes the arrangement can be tricky, and it’s easy to put something in the wrong area. That also goes for just putting items on whatever shelf happens to be nearby. We’d rather you leave those items either on one of the tables or on the book cart across from the Graphic Novel section. Our well-trained staff will take it from there, just like they hired us to.
That’s about it for this time. please check our website at www.southplainfield.lib.nj.us or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/southplainfieldlibrary for more information. You can also give us a call at (908) 754-7885. See you next time.