Dear Parents / Guardians,
As a precautionary measure to decrease the spread of COVID-19, and in response to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in New Jersey, the South Plainfield Public Schools will be closed from Monday, March 16, 2020, through Friday, March 20, 2020.
As per Governor Murphy’s most recent address, New Jersey can anticipate long-standing closures and schools should enact virtual learning when available. The South Plainfield School District is more than prepared to enact such a plan.
Beginning Monday, March 16, 2020, students will participate in online and virtual instruction.
Listed below is a summary of the information your child will need in order to participate in the online learning platform. Virtual learning will count towards students required school days.
● Virtual learning will begin at 9:00am and end at 1:00pm daily o
Every regularly scheduled class will meet everyday
Each building has created a modified schedule
K-4 students received a paper copy of their modified schedule
5 - 12 students have access to their modified schedule online
● Daily attendance will be taken
Students will be marked present through their participation in Google Meet, or
Students will be marked present through the completion of a Google Form/Survey that will be posted at the start of class
Attendance will be posted to Genesis soon after 9:00am every day
● Teachers have prepared a variety of interactive lessons for use during the school closure
● Students have taken home all relevant curriculum materials to aid in their learning
● Our students and teachers are pros! They are ready to continue learning and working with Chromebooks and online tools just as they do on a daily basis!
Food Service -
● The district will continue to offer breakfast and lunch throughout the school closure
● The cost will be the same as during a regularly scheduled day
● Please check your email for a detailed letter that outlines
How to sign up for food services o Cost of food services
Payment collection information o Pick up / Delivery time frame
Technology Assistance -
● There are a variety of technology resources on the online learning portal, found here http://spboe.org/online_learning_portal
● You may contact 908-754-4620, Option 0 (zero), this phone number is also listed on the online learning portal that is linked above
Tuition based Programming (Before & After Care / Preschool)
● All Before and After Care programming will be suspended during the length of our school closure. BAC families will not be charged tuition for the days that we are closed. A credit will be applied to your Community Pass account that will be reflected over the next billing cycle.
● Preschool families will not be charged tuition for the days that we are closed. A credit will be applied to your Community Pass account that will be reflected over the next billing cycle.
We will continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and adhere to the directive of the New Jersey Department of Education, health officials, and/or the Office of the Governor.
As always, the safety and well-being of the South Plainfield school community is of the utmost priority. I would like to thank all of you for your ongoing support through this challenging time. Communication will continue to be done through email; please make sure your contact information is up to date in Genesis.
Noreen Lishak, Ed.D. Superintendent of Schools