NEW BRUNSWICK – Former South Plainfield English Teacher John Angeline was originally scheduled to have his retrial begin on Feb. 18 in New Brunswick Superior Criminal Court.  Angeline, accused of allegedly molesting his stepson for over four years, will now appear in court on May 26 for a status conference.  Depending on the outcome of this court appearance, jury selection could begin on May 27.

Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Carver offered a plea bargain leading up to the last status conference in January before Judge Pedro Jimenez.  Defense Attorney Joseph Mazraani said Angeline did not want to register as a sex offender, which was the plea deal offered in June 2019.  Angeline would face no jail time, but be required by abide by Megan’s Law requirements.

Angeline's current charges are: Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact (third-degree offense), Criminal Sexual Contact (fourth-degree offense), Sexual Assault (second-degree offense), and Endangering the Welfare of a Child (second-degree offense). 

Sign Up for South Plainfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The Angeline case has been ongoing for nearly five years when Angeline's 19-year-old stepson told his mother and biological father that Angeline had been sexually abusing him since he was 15 years old.  Angeline was then arrested on March 2, 2015.  The investigation, led by Detective George Stilwell of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office and Detective Lloyd McNelly of the South Plainfield Police Department, resulted in an immediate suspension of Angeline from his teaching position.  

Angeline’s first trial took place October through November 2019 and resulted in a hung jury.  After the deadlock was announced by the jury Jimenez declared a mistrial.  The status conference in January concluded that Angeline chose to have his case retried.

On May 26, another status hearing could determine whether Angeline takes the plea bargain.  If not, jury selection would begin on May 27.