SPARTA, NJ – The Sparta Chess Club begins its 17th season this week. The club is open to students in five Sparta schools.
“The club has an uphill battle this year to duplicate their accomplishments of last school year,” Coach Tom Murray said.
The 2017-2018 team won a national, three regional and one state championship across all age groups according to Murray. The team does not sit still. They have played in 17 states and have trips planned to Baltimore, Dallas and Chicago for the 2018-2019 school year.
The team schedule
- Alpine Elementary School – all purpose room Wednesday 8 a.m.
- Mohawk Avenue School – auditorium Friday after school
- Helen Morgan School – library Thursday after school
- Sparta Middle School - room 271 on Tuesday after school
- Sparta High School – TLC Wednesday after school
The Sparta Chess Club sponsors two nationally rated tournaments. They also hold special events including Chess on the Boardwalk and the Northwest New Jersey Regional Scholarship championship, the largest outdoor chess event in the state.
This program does not receive any funding from the Sparta Board of Education. It is a 501(c) (3) non profit. Donations are tax deductible and gratefully accepted. email@example.com.