SPARTA, NJ – Sparta Township celebrated the Fourth of July beginning with fireworks on Tuesday, July 3. Lake Mohawk Country Club put on a spectacular display, once again, for Sparta to enjoy.
On Wednesday, the Sparta Elks sponsored the annual parade.
The Elks members judges the groups and floats in the parade and trophies were awarded in several categories:
Best Community Organization:
- First Sparta Historical Society
- Second Place: Lake Mohawk Ski Hawks
Best Parade Float: Monterey Entertainment
Best Color Guard: Sparta Fire Department.
Best Marching Unit: Andover Fire Department
Best Appearing Unit:
- First Place: New Jersey Antique Tractors
- Second Place: New Jersey Forest Fire Unit
Best Fire Department:
- First Place: Sparta Fire Department
- Second Place: Andover Fire Department
Best First Aid Squad:
- First Place: Newton First Aid
- Second Place: Sparta Ambulance Squad
Best Banner Carrie: Knights of Columbus
Best Elks Lodge Appearance: Sussex Elks #2288 and Antlers
Best Youth Group: Lake Mohawk Swim Team
Best Musical Organization: Sparta High School Marching Band
Best Overall in Parade: New Jersey Antique Tractors
The crowd moved from the parade route to the boardwalk to watch the Ski Hawks. They were not disappointed. The skiers performed their routines and stunts to an audience of hundreds. It was a patriotic, family friendly, fun day; a #Sparta Fourth.