SPARTA, NJ - On Wednesday, February 11, the German Christmas Market Committee gathered at the Lake Mohawk Country Club. At this meeting they finalized the distribution of the proceeds raised from the 2014 annual market.
Despite winter weather, a record number of people attended the market again this year. In keeping with tradition, there were many reasons for folks to brave the elements. Whether they were starting their annual Christmas shopping or simply dropping by to enjoy the entertainment, have a Gluhwein or beer and a variety of German wursts, the community crowded the boardwalk.
Adding to the enchanting, festive atmosphere was the premier of the authentic wooden huts generously created by a local artisan, John Kweselait of Custom Wood Furniture.
Sparta’s volunteer groups continue to work together helping to make this “One of the Top Ten Things to Do in December in the State”.
2014 Lake Mohawk German Christmas Market Donations to Charities and Supporting Organizations:
- United Way of Sussex County $2,500
- First Presbyterian Church of Sparta - Food Bank $2,500
- DASI (Domestic Abuse Services Inc) $1,000
- Partnership for Social Services $1,000
- Meals on Wheels $1,000
- Samaritan Inn $1,000
- Karen Ann Quinlan Memorial Foundation $ 1,000
- Coupons for the Community $1,250
- Ginnie’s House $1,250
- Manna House $1,000
- Sussex County Arts Council $1,000
- Center for Prevention and Counseling $1,000
- Birth Haven $1,250
- Lenape Valley Regional High School - German Language Dept $400
- Sparta Board of Education – German Language Dept $1,750
- NORWESCAP First Book $1,000
- Sparta Elks - $1,300
In-kind awards recognized:
- First Book / NORWESCAP
- Sparta Kiwanis
- Saint Kateri Squires
- Boy Scout Troop # 82
- German Language School of Morris County
- LMCC House Committee
- Sparta/Jefferson Rotary Club
- Marine Corps League, Slattery Detachment
- Lake Mohawk Country Club - House Committee
Total Direct Donations 2014 - $21,200
In-kind awards - $4,600
Total Donations for 2014 - $25,800
“Since the Market was started in 2001 some $159,000 has been donated back in to the local community. It can now proudly be called the largest Christmas Market in the State of New Jersey. With the continued help from our corporate sponsors, Bayer Consumer Care, Eastern Propane, Custom Wood Furniture Inc., and Lake Mohawk Country Club the Market will continue to grow as we continue to expand in future years. A big thank you also to our additional sponsors and to everyone that came to the Boardwalk to enjoy the festivities. It is with everyone’s contribution that the Market has become a truly wonderful and successful show,” said Helena Bould and Judy Beelaert LMCC German Christmas Market Co-Chairwomen.