SPARTA, NJ – It’s that time of year; spring is in the air and garbage is on the ground. It must be time for Sparta Bag It Day. On April 23 community members are invited to join the day of service picking up trash along Glen Road, along Route 517 or anywhere you see trash.
Participants already committed to help the town:
- The Putnam Family – Edison Road from Glen Road to Ryker’s Lake and in Ryker’s Lake parking lot
- Gil Gibbs, Doug Layman and four lacrosse girls – Lake Mohawk Country Club dam to Mohawk Ave School
- Laura Delea – Jug handle in town
- Jane Bova and Sparta Baseball – Station Park
- The Junior Women’s Club – West Mountain Road near Sparta High School
- Miriam Tower – Conventry, Timberline, Stratton and Bromley Roads
- Nicholson Family – East Mountain Road and Houses Corner Roads
- Laddey, Clark and Ryan – Blue Heron Route 15 interchange
- The Opresnick Family – Edison Road from Megan to Heaters Pond
- Mike Janov and Daughter – to be determined
- Christine Quinn – to be determined
- Janice Cerra and Family – to be determined
- Doug Radford and Friends – Already picked up in and around Sussex Mills Road
If you plan to participate you are asked to register via email to Mitch Morrison with name and location, road, stream, park or area.
Please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- All children must be continuously monitored by an adult.
- Everyone must wear bright clothing.
- Everyone must wear gloves, work pants and work boots. Protective eye wear is recommended.
- Do not pick up glass, anything rusty, anything sharp, anything too heavy, anything that looks even remotely dangerous (like syringes).
- Bring your own trash bags.
- Bring water and a healthy snack.
- Children are not allowed on the road to pick up trash. Everyone must be off the road.
- You are invisible to all traffic. Do not assume anyone can or will see you.
Participants are also asked to email Morrison to relay the location of garbage bags to allow for their pick up. Morrison will pick them up and bring them to SCMUA.