SPARTA, NJ – The Marching Spartans have had a winning competition season with their program “The Show Must Go On.” On Sunday the band finished third with a special Best Auxiliary award at the Tournament of Bands Chapter 10 Championship at Union High School.
Their score was 90.165 with only .5 of a point separating the first and third place finishers.
This win earned the Marching Spartans a spot at the Tournament of Bands Atlantic Coast Championship on November 2 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. They will go up against 22 other bands in Central Dauphin Stadium.
Their performance of Queen music with dance, flag and saber from the Color Guard “continues to wow audiences wherever they go,” Assistant Band Director Deborah Gianuzzi. The band selections are; “We Will Rock You,” “Don’t Stop Me Now,” “Another One Bites the Dust,” “ Love of my Life,” “ Bohemian Rhapsody” and “ We are the Champions.”
The marching band has had a first place win in each of their local shows including Jefferson High School, Sayerville War Memorial High School and Livingston High School. Their “stellar season” has included several special awards for Best Music, Best Visual and Best Drum Major, according to Gianuzzi.
“The field of competition is extremely competitive and we look forward to giving our very best at the competition,” Gianuzzi said. “I would also like to give a special shout out to our parents and students at Sparta High School for your amazing contribution and participation in our home game shows.”
This year’s band:
Led on the field by
- Drum Majors – Luke Simmons and Emily Yarnall,
- Drumline Captain – Kae DeGiovanni,
- Front Percussion Captain – Jed Sutton,
- Color Guard Captains – Jolie Dottinger and DeAnna Masucci
- Brass Captains – Reese Brancato and Zande rPapandrikos,
- Woodwind Captains – Sean Ailara and Suvaani Ranaginghe
- Quartermaster – Josh Muzzi
- Band Manager – Charlotte Rogoff
Led off the field by
- Director, Music and Drill Design – Scott Tomlin,
- Assistant Director – Deborah Gianuzzi,
- Color Guard and Visual Designer – Lori Tomlin,
- Percussion – Phil Gallo and Ken O’Rourke,
- Brass Instructor and Drill Tech – Josh Woldt,
- Woodwind Instructor – Andrew Lopez