NORTH CALDWELL, NJ – On Sunday afternoon, Oct 19, on the field at West Essex High School, the Sparta High School Marching Band won the Tournament of Bands, making them Chapter 10 Champions. They also received Best Color Guard recognition.
“We had a police escort back to the school and the kids were amazing,” said Band Director Dr. Deborah Gianuzzi.
The Marching Spartans scored a 93.55 and won Best Visuals. Other bands in the Chapter 10 TOB include schools from Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Northern Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex and Union counties in NJ and NY counties of Bronx, Kings, Suffolk, Nassau, Queens and Westchester.
They will be traveling to the Atlantic Coast Championship in Pennsylvania in two weeks. Sparta will be competing against bands from New York, New Jersey and PA.
They performed their program based on the musical collaboration of filmmaker Tim Burton and Danny Elfman.
The band was led by several group captains:
- Drum Majors Madeline Abatemarco and Katie Scaglione
- Assistant Drum Major Kristen Petrucci,
- Drumline Captain Eric Philippou’
- Pit Percussion Captain Madison Colaco,
- Color Guard Captain Megan Coyle,
- Assistant Color Guard Captain Brendan Strowe,
- Brass Captains Rohan Drummond, Brittany Rivera and Julian Buttitta,
- Woodwind Captains Nicole Sileo, Kira Manniello and Matt Rotondi,
- Field Captains Jack Donahue and Robin Chaney and
- Quartermaster Stephen Andrewlaveage
“The band has worked so hard this year. They earned this for sure. We are beaming with pride, “ said Gianuzzi.