NEWTON, NJ- Three people were arrested in connection with a home invasion robbery after a Newton man was attacked with a hammer inside his apartment and robbed, according to police. 

Newton Police said they responded to a Union Place residence for a report of a robbery on Wednesday, March 23 around 4:14 p.m. Upon arrival, the officers met with the alleged victim who told them two men had entered his apartment, assaulted him with a hammer and robbed him of his cash, police said.

They said the victim suffered abrasions and lacerations to his arm while trying to defend himself but did not need medical attention.

Sign Up for E-News

The man described one of the assailants, but said the other one was wearing a ski mask, police said. Both men left the residence after the robbery, they said.

Further investigation by detectives led to the identification of witnesses and three suspects who were arrested at various locations in Newton and charged with multiple counts.

Charged were David Ransom, 38, of Levittown, Pa. and Budd Lake resident Michael Tremblay, also 38, said police. They said Ransom was charged with robbery, burglary, conspiracy to commit robbery and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes. Tremblay was charged with robbery, burglary and conspiracy to commit robbery, police said.

Also arrested was Juliana Hoffman, 35, of Newton. She was charged with second degree conspiracy to commit robbery.

Newton Municipal Court Judge John Mulhern authorized the issuance of the arrest warrants for the three individuals and set bail for the trio as well, said police. All three were processed and placed n the Sussex County Jail in default of bail, they said.

Ransom’s bail was set at $232,500, with no 10 percent option, Tremblay’s bail was set at $225,000, with no 10 percent option and Hoffman’s bail was set at $50,000 with no 10 percent option, said police.

The investigation was conducted by officers from the Newton Police Department’s Patrol Division, Detective Bureau and by detectives from the Sussex County Prosecutor’s office, police said.