SPARTA, NJ - The Sparta Education Foundation needs volunteers to help out on Saturday and Sunday, May 16 and 17, for the First Annual Dragon Boat Festival fundraiser at Lake Mohawk Country Club.
There will be 42 teams representing Sparta schools, area fitness groups, neighborhoods and businesses. Some of the creative team names include Keep Calm and Drag On from Alpine School, Sleepy Lagoon Beach’s OARganized Chaos, Studio at NJSwim’s SYNC oar SWIM, Friends of Sparta’s Smoke on the Water and Mohawk Avenue School’s Blazing Paddles.
If you can spare an hour or two while you wait for your race to begin, or if you have some time before or after cheering for your favorite team, there are many fun and easy ways to help out. From practice runs at the lake on Saturday to the actual Dragon Boat Races and festival events on Sunday, volunteers are needed.
- Racing starts at 9 a.m. on Sunday. There will be children’s activities located at the Lake Mohawk Country Club playground located at the end of the boardwalk. They can enjoy Dragon-themed arts and crafts and refreshing Rita’s Ice. Vendors at the Dragon Boat Festival include the
- NJ Dragons, a dragon boat racing team from Parsippany,
- Charm antiques and vintage of Sparta and Newton, the always-popular
- Northeast Kettle Korn, as well as
- Lake Mohawk Pool and Bridge Marina of Lake Hopatcong.
- Lake Mohawk Country Club is also hosting their fourth annual Tasting on the Boardwalk on Sunday, May 17.
ocal restaurants will be participating and offering a selection of food and drinks. Favorite local eateries on the schedule include André’s, Casa Mia, Fu’s Chinese Restaurant, Villa Capri II, The Boardwalk Club at Lake Mohawk, Pizza Bistro, Ristorante Il Porto, Sheridan’s Restaurant, St. Moritz Grill & Bar, Spring Street Pub & Grill, Texas Smoke and Krogh’s Restaurant & Brew Pub.
In addition, breakfast and lunch items will also be available for purchase from the Lake Mohawk Country Club.
A Nexus 156 two-person kayak, valued at $900, has been donated by Ocean State Job Lot and will be raffled to benefit the Sparta Education Foundation. Tickets are $5 each and you need not be present to win. Tickets will be sold at the Dragon Boat Festival and at the Sparta Education Foundation booth on Sparta Day, Saturday, May 16.
Sponsored by The Sparta Education Foundation, The Dragon Boat Festival fundraiser benefits Sparta’s public schools. Like the event on facebook at facebook.com/SpartaDragonBoatFestival and follow it on Twitter @SpartaEducation for future announcements.