SPARTA, NJ – The students, staff and families of Helen Morgan have had quite a week. The discovery of mold last Friday has caused a disruption within the fourth and fifth grade school.
With the fifth grade wing closed as the mold is remediated some adjustments had to be made; students and staff moved to different rooms.
“While I knew our staff would be able to do it, I was incredibly pleased with how the day went,” Principal Doug Layman said. “In situations like these it comes down to having the right attitude.”
Layman said the day began with an assembly with the fifth grade. They talked about “the importance of staying positive and able to adjust to change- especially after just getting comfortable with the beginning of the school year.”
At the assembly Layman told the students about the fire that damaged Alpine Elementary School in 1989. The students were displaced for six weeks during which time they had to go to Helen Morgan school for half day sessions.
“We were reminded that the keys for making that a successful experience was the patience, cooperation and attitude of the students,” Layman said. “After just one day of this new setup, our students certainly have demonstrated those qualities.”