SPARTA, NJ – Sparta High School girls tennis team is moving easily through the NJSIAA Northwest B or Group 2 playoffs. They have not given up a game in the playoffs, shutting out Parsipanny Hills on Wednesday after shutting out High Point on Monday.
"Very excited to be in the sectional final,” Coach Andrew Lowery said. “The girls have had a strange season with COVID disruptions and postponements, rain and now maybe snow, but through it all they have not wavered. Their hard work in the off season is paying off, and we can only hope that we finish on a high note."
In the semifinals against Parsippany Hills:
- Alexa Matkiwsky defeated Danielle Pettoni 6-0 6-1
- Reagan Rech defeated Elise Parisi 6-3 6-3
- Jenna Bargfrede defeated Abby Lee 6-3 6-0
- Gabby Canzoniero and Jordan Bucenec defeated Kareena Khabchandani and Amisha Patel 6-2 6-2
- Sarah Bargfrede and Isabella Sportelli defeated Hannah Mow and Francie Salling 6-2 6-
In the quarterfinals against High Point
- Matkiwsky defeated Paige Peoples 6-1 6-0
- Rech defeated Mollie Noonan 6-0 6-1
- Bargfrede defeated Lauren Paulucci 6-1 6-1
- Canzoniero and Bucenec defeated Kassie Britt and Olivia Anderson 6-0 6-2
- Bargfrede and Sportelli defeated B. Munoz and Tara Van Tassel 6-1 6-1
“I'm very proud of them no matter what happens in the final,” Lowery said. “They are a great group of young ladies; that's for sure."
The Spartans are 7-1 for the season. They will play in the final round on Friday at home.