SPARTA, NJ – Sparta High School softball lost a close one in the final round of NJSIAA sectional tournament against Indian Hills in Oakland on Tuesday, 2-1. Paige Smith gave up two runs on only five hits. Smith had eight strikeouts and only one walk.
Isabella DeFillippis got Sparta on the board first, scoring in the second inning. The only other action on the bases for Sparta came from Kate Esso who went 2-for-4 and Erin Scott who got on with a walk. Neither could make it count.
Indian Hills answered back in the bottom of the third scoring two.
- Smith ends the season with 46 career runs, a .530 career batting average. In her senior year she gave up only 100 hits in 184.2 innings, allowing only 26 earned runs.
- Scott finished with 20 runs for the season and 57 career runs on 95 hits with 23 doubles and 52 RBIs.
- Isabella DeFillippis put up 34 career varsity runs in three years with 15 RBIs.
- Carolyn Jacobs finished three years on varsity with 20 career runs on 34 hits with 12 doubles and 19 RBIs.
- Tatiana Esteva-Ingram has 31 varsity runs on 58 hits with 25 RBIs and 13 doubles.
- Jessica Esso put up 20 runs on 34 hits including 30 RBis and four home runs, in the two years she played on the varsity team.
The team finished the season with a record of 19-7, going 7-1 in their league.