SPARTA, NJ – Sparta High School volley ball team is already working hard preparing for the fall season. The team now has Derek Hall leading as head coach. Hall served as JV coach for the past three years.
The team is “looking to build of last years’ successful season with another strong showing in the Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex tournament as well as the State tournament,” Hall said.
Hall will be relying on five returning players and two newcomers to the varsity squad;
- Paige Smith – senior, outside hitter
- Erin Scott – senior, middle hitter
- Talia Smith – senior, setter
- Kayleigh Takacs – senior, backrow outside
- Sophia Sandgran – senior, backrow middle
- Michelle Scaglione – sophomore, opposite and outside
- Morgan Saulys – sophomore, opposite and setter
Hall is expecting a good year with “a lot of senior leadership sprinkled with a lot of young and hungry new players.”
The girls will have a scrimmage on Tuesday, August 22 at 10 a.m. in the Sparta High School main gym against Scotch Plains-Fanwood.
The regular season begins on September 7 against Roxbury with their home opener on Saturday, September 9 at 10 a.m. They will face Morris Catholic High School.