SPARTA, NJ – The Middle School track teams wrapped up their season last week. With every Sussex County middle school represented at Kittatinny, the boys finished second and girls took fifth.
For the boys:
- Tyler Szabo took second for both the long jump and high jump.
- Danny DiMarco won the 100 M
- Chris Peirson won the 1600 M
- Greg Puszcz finished fifth on the 200 M
- Paul Scumlas took fourth and Jake Galluccion took fifth in the 400 M
- Joe Collins came in third and Szabo came in sixth in the 800 M
- DiMarco, Joey Shnyder, Brandon Smith and Julian Minesinger finished second in the 4 X 100 M relay
- Galluccio, Smith Minesinger and Kevin Dau took second in the 4 X 200 M relay.
- Coach Robert Gilmartin said, “The Boys Team had a great season.”
Gilmartin explained, the boys won the Disque-Rampone Relays held at Newton on May 5 and took second place in the Crusader Relays held in Woodbury, NY on May 20.
According to Gilmartin Shumlas set a meet record in the 400M race and Anthony Lombardo set meet records in both the 800M race and the Discus at the Crusader Relays. Both of those invitational meets had approximately 15 schools participating.
For the girls:
- Peyton Nichols won the 800 M and took second in the 1600 M
- Alexa Girous finished fifth in the 200 M.
- Grious, Emily Yarnall, Aubrey Coombs and Paige Markvicka came in fourth in the 4 X 200 M relay.
Gilmartin said, “Ms. Nowicki and I are extremely proud of the athletes this year. As the season progressed so many athletes improved their times through their hard work. They made it fun for us as coaches. They came to practice each day with such excitement and willingness to work. The leadership and work ethic of the eighth grade boys were especially impressive.