SPARTA, NJ – The 63rd annual Sparta Spartan Youth Football and Cheer Milkbowl event will be held on Saturday, Nov. 14 at Ungerman Field.
The tradition celebrates the best of Sparta: family, youth athletics and service to the community. Each year the football games are only part of the story. As far back as the first Milkbowl, when the Lake Mohawk Chiefs played the Newton Braves and the proceeds of the day went to support the Karl family, the Milkbowl has epitomized the motto of Kids Helping Kids.
Several fundraisers are associated with the Milkbowl, including a Tricky Tray, Month of Meal raffle and bake sale. At each game there is also a 50/50. The money raised this year will go to benefit the Monaghan Family. As is done each year, a Spartan family in need is identified and supported by the SYF families.
This year the families will be asked to make donations to support Tilly’s Kids, a project spearheaded by Peggy Fischer, who collects gifts for children in schools in Newark. Together with the support from athletic teams at the high school and students in Sparta schools, Fischer organizes, wraps, transports and distributes the gifts to the children. In many cases these are the only Christmas gifts the children will receive.
Each grade level is asked to donate specific items.
- First grade boys – Matchbox car set
- First grade girls – Barbies/baby dolls
- Second grade boys – Nerf footballs,
- Second grade girls – pillow pet
- Third grade boys – Lego set
- Third grade girls – board game
- Fourth grade boys – Nerf over the door basketball hoop
- Fourth grade girls – arts and crafts
- Fifth grade boys – junior football
- Fifth grade girls – crafts and puzzles
- Sixth grade boys – junior basketball
- Sixth grade girls – board game
- Seventh grade boys – full size football
- Seventh grade girls – fleece blanket
- Eighth grade boys – full size basketball
- Eighth grade girls – lotion and shower gel sets
“In addition to these items, we will welcome new gloves and hats as well as gently used children’s books and coats,” said Fischer.
The games begin at 11:30 a.m. and continue until the last game at 7:30 p.m.
11:30 – 12:15 p.m. Giants v Dolphins
12:20 – 1 p.m. Chargers v Packers
1:10 – 1:55 p.m. Lions v Packers
2 – 2:45 p.m. Steelers v Seahawks
3:15 p.m. White Rumble v Kittatinny
4:30 p.m. Blue Pony v Vernon
6 p.m. Blue Rumble v Wallkill
7:30 p.m. Blue Supers v Lenape Valley
A gofundme site has been set up for the Monaghan family.
Since 1999 the Milkbowl has raised over $120,000 for local families. Information is available here about the Milkbowl Scholarship fund that has been established for local families in need.