SUSSEX COUNTY, NJ –Sussex County Division of Health officials announced two additional cases and one additional death related to COVID-19 as of August 5.
An 86-year-old Sparta woman passed away from COVID-19 on July 30 according to county officials.
New Jersey is now seventh in the country for the number of cases behind California, Florida, Texas, New York, Georgia and Illinois.
As of August 5 there were 1,356 cases of COVID-19 in the county, 197 deaths and 1,157 recovered coronavirus patients. County officials said one case previously assigned to Sparta has been reassigned out of the county.
Some key data points rose while others continued in a downward trend.
The Rt rate moved slightly down again to 1.32 as of August 5. Any number over 1 indicates the virus is spreading. The mortality rate in the state continues to decline as the rate of positive tests is increasing.
State officials announced hospitalizations on Wednesday moved to 784 on Wednesday.
State officials reported 378 new COVID-19 cases and eight new deaths on August 5 from 356 new cases and 12 deaths reported on August 4.
New Jersey Department of Health COVID-19 dashboard reported there were 13,989 deaths and 183,327 confirmed positive coronavirus cases with a mortality rate of 7.63% as of August 5. The dashboard said 2,187,018 New Jersey residents been tested as of August 5.
Bergen County continues to have the highest number of positive tests in the state with 20,638 coronavirus patients and 1,787 deaths. Hudson County is reporting 19,564 positive tests and 1,335 deaths.
Essex County is reporting the highest COVID-19 death toll with 1,866 coronavirus related deaths and 19,611 positive test results.
According to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus resource center, The United States currently has 4,821,296 confirmed cases and 158,170 coronavirus deaths, with a mortality rate remaining at 3.28%. As of August ,5 New York City continues to report the highest number of coronavirus related deaths with a reported 32,754.
Sussex County COVID-19 positive cases and deaths:
- Andover Borough 2
- Andover Township 243 with 113 deaths
- Branchville Borough 9 with one death
- Byram Township 69 with three deaths
- Frankford Township 87 with 23 deaths
- Franklin Borough 47 with two deaths
- Fredon Township 20 with one death
- Green Township 28 with one death
- Hamburg Borough 35 with one death
- Hampton Township 36 with three deaths
- Hardyston Township 58 with three death
- Hopatcong Borough 142 with eight deaths
- Lafayette Township 14 with one death
- Montague Township 33 with four deaths
- Newton Town 113 with 12 deaths
- Ogdensburg Borough 17 with one death
- Sandyston Township 8 with one death
- Sparta Township 128 with 11 deaths
- Stanhope Borough 26 with one death
- Stillwater Township 14 with one death
- Sussex Borough 17 with one death
- Vernon Township 146 with six deaths
- Wantage Township 64 with one death
Testing is available in at CVS in Sparta.
New Jersey Department of Human Services has launched a hotline for residents who need help coping with stress and anxiety during the health crisis. The hotline is open from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. seven days a week- 866-202-4357.
St. Joseph’s Health in Paterson is also providing a free helpline for hearing impaired Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 973-870-0677.
The state COVID-19 hotline can be reached by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-962-1253 or text NJCOVID to 898-211.