SPARTA, NJ - The winter storm forecasted to hit the area beginning in the early hours of Tuesday, March 14 has led to cancelations and postponements. This article will be updated as necessary. Please check back for the latest information.
Sparta Town Hall and Sparta Library will have a delayed opening. Both locations will open at 10 a.m.
Sparta Schools will be closed again on Wednesday, March 15.
Sparta Township reminds you as of 3:15 p.m. the State of Emergency is still in effect. "We encourage residents to stay home for the rest of the day and evening while road crews address the current poor road conditions. The consistency of the storm, snow and ice, along with the wind will make it more difficult to get the roadways cleared. Road crews will be addressing these issues throughout the evening."
From NJ Transit Wednesday March 15, Access Link will have a delayed start of 10 a.m. in Region 5 - Essex, Morris, Somerset, and Union counties. Rides before 10 a.m are canceled.
All 46 Visions Federal Credit Union will be closed today, March 14, including the call centers. Online banking and Visions mobile app should be used during this time.
Go2 Center at the Sparta Police Department will be activated beginning 8 a.m. on Tuesday. Anyone needing this assistance is asked to enter the building throught the police department entrance and talk to the dispatcher for further instructions.
Sparta Township Offices will be closed tomorrow.
Sparta Township Library will be closed Tuesday.
Sparta Schools are closed for Tuesday, March 14.
Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten registration at Alpine Elementary School has been moved to Friday, March 17; from 10 a.m. until noon for last names A -L and 1 to 3 p.m. for last names M – Z
The New Jersey State Police have declared a state of emergency for Tuesday, March 14. State offices will be closed. Essential employees are required to report to work as scheduled.
Sparta Township Council has rescheduled their meeting to Friday, March 17 at 5p.m.
Garbage and Recycling collection scheduled for Tuesday has been canceled. Check the inclement weather schedule on the Solid Waste/Recycling page of the township website.
Sparta Township Office of Emergency Management has activated its Emergency Operation Center in preparation for the incoming storm. They remind you to observe all Ordinances and Laws related to snow removal and parking restrictions. These rules, in part:
- 21-5.1 Removal of snow and ice from sidewalks – Property owners are responsible from removing snow and ice from sidewalks within 12 daylight hours of the snow and ice storm.
- 21-5.2 Depositing snow and ice in street prohibited – No one is allowed to plow, throw, cast, place or deposit snow and ice into township streets or sidewalks.
- 7-7.3 Temporary parking prohibition for now plowing and removal – Parking is prohibited on munipal, Lake Mohawk Country Club and county roads when there is snow falling and until snow has been plowed.
- Burnbrae Lane – north side, southern leg
- Dandelion Road – entire length of the south side
- Lake Shore Drive – entire length of the south side
- Lincoln Drive – entire length of the south side
- Maple Parkway – entire length of the east side
- West Cherry Tree Lane – entire length of the east side
- Fern Road – entire length of west side
- Glenside Trail – entire length of west side
- Hillside Trail – entire length of west side,
- Indian Trail – entire length of the north side
- Lakeview Road – entire length of the east side
- Longview Road – entire length of the east side
- Springbrook Trail – entire length of the west side
- Sunset Trail - the entire length of the east side
- Woodlawn Road- the entire length of the east side