HARRISBURG, PA – The Marching Spartans capped off a successful season with a third place finish at the Atlantic Coast Region Tournament of Champions Group 2A. The Sparta band and color guard beat out 22 other bands for the trophy.
“We are so proud of our Marching Spartans,” Sparta High School principal Ronnie Spring said. “The kids worked hard since day one and were dedicated to an amazing performance. Not only did their success show at competitions, but they motivated the entire student body at football games, both home and away.”
With lights and sirens the Sparta High School marching band was escorted back into town with a police escort on Route 15 having competed at Central Dauphin Stadium on November 2.
The Marching Spartans have earned title at every level of competition leading to Harrisburg for the program “The Show Must Go On,” featuring selections of Queen including “We Will Rock You,” “Don’t Stop Me Now,” “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Another One Bites the Dust,” “Love of my Life” and “We are the Champions.”
The season began in the summer for the band members with two camps beginning in July. They spent more than nine hours a week on the field practicing, performing and competing during the season.
“I think the most important take-away is that these kids pushed themselves to be better each and every day,” Assistant Band Director Deborah Gianuzzi said. “This is a group of kids that worked together to help each other be the very best they could be.”
In addition to their competitions, they perform at all football games home and away. They have represented the school in local parades and even at the opening of the new ShopRite in North Village last month.
The students thrive on a spirit of camaraderie, support , hard work and positive attitude,” parent volunteer Sanju Ranasinghe said. “They have brought great pride to the school and the town.”
The band is led on the field by:
- Drum Majors – Luke Simmons and Emily Yarnall,
- Drumline Captain – Kae DeGiovanni,
- Woodwind Captains – Sean Ailara and Suvaani Ranasinghe
- Brass Captains – Reese Brancato and Zander Papandrikos,
- Front Percussion Captain – Jed Sutton,
- Color Guard Captains – Jolie Dottinger and DeAnna Masucci
- Quartermaster – Josh Muzzi
- Band Manager – Charlotte Rogoff
The band is led off the field by:
- Director, Music and Drill Design – Scott Tomlin,
- Assistant Director – Dr. Deborah Gianuzzi,
- Color Guard and Visual Designer – Lori Tomlin,
- Percussion – Phil Gallo and Ken O’Rourke,
- Brass Instructor and Drill Tech – Josh Woldt,
- Woodwind Instructor – Andrew Lopez
"The Marching Spartans are thankful for community support and always grateful for sponsorships," Ranasinghe said.
“I also want to thank the marching band directors and all of the people behind the scenes, especially the marching band parents for their tireless support on behalf of our kids,” Spring said.