SPARTA, NJ – If you’ve never seen or heard of the “39 Steps,” now is your chance to be entertained by this “hilariously absurd send up of Alfred Hitchcock’s spy classic.”
If you have seen the show, you will be entertained by Sparta High School actors faithful presentation, with the traditional minimalist staging, period costumes and fast paced dialogue.
The story is a foreshadowing to Hitchcock’s North by Northwest. The “39 Steps” follows the adventures of a “painfully average London man swept into the world of organized crime as he accidently discovers a secret organization’s evil plot,” director Brent Rivers said.
Just as in the Broadway production, many of the students play multiple roles.
“I’ve had a lot of fun playing three different characters,” William DiGiuseppe said.
The students have spent many hours working together, developing into a cohesive performance while developing strong friendships.
“I love the show,” Shea Holovacs said. “Working with everyone has been incredible.”
“It’s so much fun,” Emma Muth said. “This year being behind the scenes is busy but really fun.”
“This is my favorite thing to do after school,” Mary DiGiuseppe said.
In her third year on the stage Liv Canova said, “It’s really fun. I’ve made a ton of friends.”
“Working with these guys is the best,” Carissa Lambert said. “It’s more like a family.”
“This has been a really good experience, a lot of fun,” Peter Cofrancesco said. “It’s like a family and everyone is bringing their A game for this weekend.”
“When you’re together for eight hours a day, it’s hard not to be a family,” Kavia Kamath said.
“As a director this has been an amazing experience,” Rivers said. “The kids have really pushed themselves to explore comedy and I’m so proud of their willingness to take a chance on stage.”
Don't miss your chance to see the show of Thursday, Friday and Saturday the curtain rises at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the door for $10.
The 39 Steps - Cast List
- Richard Hannay - Scott Riley
- Pamela - Tessa Gori
- Annabella Schmidt - Georgia Paraskos
- Mrs. Jordan/Margaret - Laurel Ferguson
- Police 1/Heavy 1 - Alex Fontes
- Milkman/Police 2/Heavy 2 - Shea Holovacs
- Compere/Salesman 1- Peter Confransesco
- Mr. Memory/Salesman 2 - Riley Downs
- Professor Jordan - Zander Papandrikos
- Crofter/Mr. McGarrigle - Liam Rust
- Mrs. McGarrigle - Liv Canova
- Sheriff/Mr. McQuarrie - Evan Oleinyk
- Chief Inspector/Mr. Dunwoody - Suvaani Ranasinghe
- Radio Announcer - Kaden Kambak
- Pilot 1 - Will DiGiuseppe
- Pilot 2 - Jenna Halkyard
The 39 Steps - Tech & Crew
- Stage Manager: Kavya Kamath
- Assistant Stage Manager: Charlotte Rogoff
- Assistant Stage Manager: Emma McNamara
- Set Manager/Designer: Luca Budofsky
- Assistant Set Manager: Charlotte Rogoff
- Lighting Manager/Designer: Kyle Neuwirth
- Assistant Lights: Kaden Kambak
- Sound Manager: Jenna Halkyard
- Props Manager: Emma McNamara
- Costume Manager/Designer: Emma Muth
- Assistant Costumes: Kimberly ‘Kimi’ Bellamy
- Make-Up and Hair: Carissa ‘Carrie’ Lambert